Sweater Much To Big

I just finished knitting a V-neck pullover sweater for myself and it is much to big.

I used Lion Brand Chunky weight yarn, called Wool-Ease Thick & Quick. It is acrylic and wool blend.

I checked my gauge and thought it was correct and used Size 17 needles and followed the directions for a size large.

After I was finished and it was put together I found out it was much to big. I took it all out and am starting over.

I carefully checked my gauge again and this time I came up with Size 19 needles and I am trying out the size small to see if this will be ok.

The gauge is 22 stitches, 9 stitches in every 4 inches.
The pattern is Row 1, knit 1, purl 1 until the end. Row 2 knit all stitches. Repeat the 2 rows for pattern.

Any help with this problem will be grateful.:woohoo:

Your swatch is only an indication of your yarn/ndl tension when you create it. Time of day, fatigue level, etc can all factor into the tension. Thus, and esp if you’re a new knitter, you should be checking your gauge while working. Some knitters tend to relax once they get into a project and establish a rhythm.

cam

I’ve been knitting for about 2 years (madly, constantly, without ceasing!), and I know just what you mean. I agree with cam90066 that how you feel every time you sit down can affect how your guage is going.
When I first started knitting my guage was all over the place during any given piece of knitting, so I know how frustrating this can be. Solution?..it’s [I]so[/I] worth stopping every [B]4 or 5 rows[/B] to lift your work up, take a good look at it and keep your measuring tape handy. If you start to notice changes stop and think about how you feel…are you getting tense, are you tired, is your knitting slackening up because you are relaxing with it…all of things will translate straight into your needles!
You could also insert a lifeline every so many rows, especially if you’re working with a pattern, or just tag the end of every so many rows with a little coloured thread so it’s easy to see how far you’ve worked, then it’s easy to see where the work started to change.
If you check your work [I]often[/I], then if it’s going “off” it’s far simpler & faster to frog out a few lines than to end up having to take out all that hard work at the end. Then you can take into consideration what might be making it alter and make amends!
I really hope this helps, it certainly has worked for me!

Also, check the size of the sweater you’re making. Measure a sweater that fits you well and make sure those measurements match the ones in the finished size of the sweater. Not everyone’s ‘large’ is the same.