Sweater Front Neckline Shaping Help/Pattern Clarification

I’m new to this forum and still fairly new to knitting, but I’m trying to challenge myself with new patterns! Funnily enough, I stumbled upon this site when looking on the internet for clarification on my pattern and found this thread with a knitter working on the same pattern! (see thread link below)

Here is the actual pattern for reference:

But I’m still having trouble with a certain part and am wondering if anybody can help a sister out!

Right now, I’m at the following part:

“Shape neck opening
Next row (RS): K31 (36, 40, 45, 49, 54, 59, 64), slip last 12 (14, 14, 16, 16, 18, 20, 22) sts worked onto stitch holder for centre neck, k19 (22, 26, 29, 33, 36, 39, 42).
Work right shoulder (as worn) sts only:”

I’ve knitted the first (left) shoulder portion and have put the correct amount of worked stitches from that portion on a stitch holder. However, it says to knit the remaining stitches (the right shoulder). Am I just go directly from the stitch holder to knitting the last stitches in the row with the same working yarn? After looking up things online, I saw that you could also add a new ball of yarn here, but it doesn’t clarify that in the pattern either. I feel like continuing on knitting as the pattern says will create a link between the two shoulders that I don’t want, but I’m probably just too inexperienced to know what the patterns trying to say. Am I just overthinking this or am I completely missing something? Help!

Welcome to KnittingHelp and to knitting!
This is such a classic sweater and a nice one to start out on. You can continue working the right shoulder with the current working yarn. When you finish working the shoulder bind off as given in the directions and cut the yarn leaving about a 6" tail. You can weave that in later. Then you would start the left shoulder with a new end of yarn.

If you want to work both shoulders at the same time, you would attach a second ball of yarn to the left shoulder. Just start knitting with that second ball, again leaving about a 6" tail. The first few sts may bee a little loose but they can be snugged up later. Work the right shoulder rows with the attached yarn and the left shoulder rows with this second ball of yarn. If that’s confusing, just work one shoulder at a time. Either way will work just fine.

This is so helpful salmonmac, thank you!!

So if I choose to just work on one shoulder at a time, should I just leave the left shoulder on the same needle while I work on the right shoulder, or do I need to transfer it somehow?

You can do either. I usually let the left shoulder stay on the needles and ignore it. If you find it annoying to have the extra weight on the needles, then by all means slip the sts to a holder or another needle.