Swatching and gauge measurement in circ. knitting

Okay, I’m planning on knitting a hat/beanie for my mum (she wears it to bed). Doing such thing, I’ll need to make a gauge measurement. I’m planning to make the hat in Fisherman’s Rib.

How do I go about measuring the gauge? I’ve read somewhere that I should just start knitting the row, break (cut) the yarn, slip it over and keep knitting the next row on the right side and so on.

Or should I just start knitting in the round and bind off when I got some length to measure the gauge?

Also, I’ve also read that before I can measure the gauge, I need to wash and block the thing first. Is this absolutely necessary?

Thank you for the help in advance!

[color=blueviolet]Read this article on swatching.[/color]

Jessi_9783: Well, yes, that was one of the article I’ve read, but I just wanted to make sure whether there are other ways. Thank you, nevertheless!

[color=blueviolet]Try this.[/color]

@Jessi, Thanks! I think that’s the best way anyway.

Hmmm, so basically what it’s saying is that everything is normal, except, the rounds are connected by long tails of yarn that you can cut so the piece will be flat? Is that what I’m getting out of this? :thinking:

I used this pattern and it’s really easy. I didn’t gauge swatch although it might be a good idea if you knit very tightly or something.

If you do a swatch with the long strands, just keep them loose and you don’t have to cut them. This way you can re-use the yarn if you want.

Ingrid to the rescue!! My next project, (if my yarn ever comes in) is an hourglass sweater, so I definitely need to do a swatch to get the right gauge. I’m hoping today will be delivery day!! :smiley: