Swatches

Hello guys… sorry I’ve been quiet :slight_smile:

I think I got the knitt part of knitting down… time to work on purl and such… :slight_smile:

Now… my quesiton is, when you start a pattern and it tells you to make a swatch… is the normal watch so may stiches or … is it 4x4 inches… or…

Does the pattern specify… Just curious :slight_smile: I’m tyring ot learn here. :slight_smile:

Thanks
Dave

Most patterns will specify how they want you to make the swatch. For instance, it will say such and such # of stitches and x number of rows (in stockinette stitch, or some pattern stitch specific to that pattern) is 4 x 4 inches.

No help on that part… but I just wanted to say that I am from Pella :smiley:

You know, I’ve never been to pella… for the festival… I’ve drove through it… it’s a pretty good distance away :slight_smile:

Anyway… :slight_smile: I appreciate the help… I’ve decided to also takea cheap class around here to help a little… That starts april 20th…

I’ve always knit the gauge description.
So when it says 18 stitches and 22 rows (for example) is 4" by 4".

The test is to make sure that yours is a 4 x 4 square, too.

If it’s not, then your gauge is of and whatever you’re making will end up a different size than the pattern.

sometimes it’s best to knit your swatch bigger than the suggested size… for instance if it says 20 stitched and 20 rows = 4 inches, I will knit 25 stitches by 25 rows… that way the edges don’t give you a funky measurement. After your larger swatch is done, just measure the stitches and rows you did (the 20 by 20) 0and see if it’s really to gauge (in this case, 4 inches)

Hello again ladies…
Thought I would post progress…

I did a swatch per a instruction, not on the correct needle, but just to see if I could do it… I think my bind off stich (at the bottom) was incorrect… but anyway… here’s what it look like :slight_smile:

I think it came out rather okay… the tension looks consistent…