Swatch width is correct but not length

Hi! I’m new here and glad to join. I used to knit like crazy and was really good, then stopped for a decade and am now off to a slow start.

Re: the test swatch… what if the width is correct but not the length? For example, if my 30 stitches equal 4 inches but the 36 rows are either too long or too short… what do I do?? Thank you so much in advance.

1 Like

Simplified it is like this: yarn weight will mostly affect the width of the stitches and needle size will mostly affect the height. Thus you could try to use bigger or smaller needles, but changing needle size will also change slightly the width.

1 Like

Generally speaking, you can get away with that depending on what you’re knitting. The stitch gauge is usually more crucial, since a lot of the time you can adjust length (trickier with fancy patterns like cables etc, but a cinch with plainer ones), but you can’t alter stitch numbers just to get the right width after you start.

2 Likes

Thank you! A decade ago I made cabled sweaters, vests, layettes, hats, mittens … but today needed YouTube to refresh how to cast on!!:flushed: It’s all coming back little by little. Loving it again.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it, and hope to see you around the forum again!