Swatch/Pocket with CC border

I would like to make a pocket for my felted bag that has a border. How would I knit it?

You want the CC on all four sides or just the top edge? If only the top edge you’d stop using the MC and switch to the CC for the number of rows you want.

If you want the CC on all four sides, begin with the CC, k your desired number of rows. Continue using the CC on the right and left edges (you’ll need a second skein for the left edge), while working the MC in the middle. Finish off the pocket by working the same number of rows as the beginning with the CC color.

IOW, it’d look like this:

[COLOR=“Red”]XXXXXXXXXX[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“Red”]X[/COLOR]XXXXXXXX[COLOR=“Red”]X[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“Red”]XXXXXXXXXX[/COLOR]

ETA: if the second option, remember to wrap your color changes so you don’t end up with holes at the transition.

HTH,
cam

Yes, I want the CC on all four sides. I’m a beginner and I don’t understand your explanation.

You’ll have to determine your row and st counts keeping in mind both the pre- and post-felted size.

CO using the CC and knit however many rows you need. Once at the depth you want, work the right border sts (you’ll have to decide how many) in CC, then K with the MC [B]but[/B], as mentioned, remember to wrap the CC and MC sts at the transition of the colors to prevent a hole. [I](View the vid on working with two colors.) [/I]Near the other end of the row, you’ll transition in reverse (MC to CC) and finish with however many sts of the CC to match the other end of the row. (For ex: If you did 4 of CC at the start, plan to do 4 at the end.) Repeat this process CC>MC>CC for the desired number of rows. (As noted, you’ll have to have two skeins of the CC…one for working the right border sts, one for the left. You’ll work with the CC, drop it, work with MC, drop it, work with the second CC.) Once the middle portion is done…with CC borders left and right completed…finish by working however many rows you need with [B]only[/B] the CC to match the bottom border. (MC no longer in use at this point.)

If need be, you might have to map out the pocket on knitter’s graph paper (free online) to determine how many rows/sts you’ll need to work for each of the borders.

HTH,
cam

THANKS!