Super Sized Skein Suggestions PLEASE

I am working on a baby blanket that is to be knit with 2 strands held together but after buying 5 skeins of yarn (all that the store had) and finding out that I made a mistake in the first attempt of the blanket I cast off and stated again with 2 new skeins.

Now I went and got a super sized skein of same yarn and want to know if anyone has a suggestion on how to be able to use that one skein as two?

Would you measure out 1/2 the skein and wind it or hold both ends and knit from mgf skein or or I dont know.
:wall: :passedout:

I’d knit from both ends.

Sounds like you are having a lot of trouble. Take a deep breath, slow down!

I am confused by the comment that you “made a mistake and cast off.” Didn’t you just unravel it to use the yarn again?

Anyway, you can work from both ends of a skein of yarn, you just have to be careful that you don’t get too tangled. Stop now and then to keep the yarn moving freely from the skein.

OR, if you don’t want to do that, you can rewind it into two balls. Rewind loosely, not tightly. To be sure they are even, you can take them to a scale (post office sometimes can help if you don’t have one) to equal them out before cutting.

Good luck.

With the mistakes I made in the first attempt of the blanket I still liked it and so did my puppy so she got a new blanket and I started over.

The last time that I tried to frog out a project I made such a mess with the yarn that I cried and threw the whole thing away.

If it is a center pull skein, I’d definitely use both ends instead of winding it into separate balls. Just use the end from the center along with the end from the outside. You may just have to untangle once in a while, but it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Lucky Puppy! Great way to make a rainbow after a storm…an FO instead of a “Frog”!..lemonade out of a lemon…:roflhard:

I’ll remember that…my Shebah would love to have one of my {many} “ah hecks”! :teehee:

I would personally recommend that you wind it into separate balls using kitchen scales to get the weight pretty close. I find that once you have used a bit of the yarn from a shop bought ball it tend to collapse and then you spend more time untangling the mess than you do knitting. If the ball is one of the centre pull balls that is wound on a yarn winder thing I should think it is OK to use yarn from both ends.

That little white puppy got a new blankie? How cute!!

You are having your troubles, but that’s the way we learn, isn’t it? Glad you’re hangin’ in there.

This is what I do. I take the center pull and the outside end and wind them into a ball together. Then I work as if it were one strand of yarn. It works for me :slight_smile: