Suggestions needed

I want to knit a shawl for my friend to replace her scarf in the winter which she uses in her under-heated office. Knowing you are all great minded knitters out there, I would like you to make some suggestions(eventual decisions) for me.

Help me pick

1. type of yarn?
  • Debbie Bliss alpaca silk or 100% silk
  • Malabrigo
  • Angora of some type
  1. weight of yarn?
  • worsted is what I have in mind, but please give me some suggestions for other weights suitable for a nice shawl
  1. pattern?
    I don’t have one in mind, but I want my friend to have a beautiful elegant design

Thanks ! You are the best.

Well, it all depends on your friend’s preferences, I’d say! If you want something for warmth, 100% silk might not be the best, though it’d be beautiful! :inlove: Malabrigo has some fans on here, I know. :wink: Worsted would make for a quick knit, but lighter weight yarns in a lacy pattern would be very impressive. Knitting Pattern Central has lots of free shawl patterns you can peruse. Cozy and Clapotis on www.knitty.com are very popular and not too difficult patterns.

I think you cannot go wrong with KnitPicks Andean Silk - it’s inexpensive and knits up great! I just made myself a basketweave sharf - (a shawl/scarf kinda thing) hehee yeah I madeup that word!

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420126/yarn_display.aspx

I’m working on this shawl right now. I’m using it to decrease my stash :oops:, so I’m using a combo of cottons, acrylics etc. The pattern is easy too! :thumbsup:

Oh, I LOVE shawls…I have the patterns and yarn for several…I believe these will be fall projects…but, some of mine are flower basket lace shawl with dk wt wt merino; leaf lace shawl (perhaps bamboo, I’m not sure), VK ruffles shawl with lamb’s pride; and my fave (I think) Lady Eleanor entrelac wrap with Noro’s silk garen :cheering: :cheering: Boy, I need to get busy!
Oh, and there’s the lovely Cozy :thumbsup: