Substitute Yarn

I love this afghan pattern, but it’s calling for 12 balls of Berroco Air.
I really don’t want to spend over $100 just in yarn for the project. Air is supposedly bulky weight, but the finshed afghan doesn’t look like it has a bulky yarn. Maybe it’s just me…

What can I substitute that would work? (I’m looking for pretty neutral colors and I don’t necessarily need the varigated either.)

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/arctic/arctic.html

Thanks!
Kelly

Here are a couple of places you can search by gauge or weight and find alternatives. I don’t personally know of any. Sorry!

Elann search
Yarndex

The yarn weights site isn’t working, but here is the Berroco site for the yarn so you’ll know the gauge.
Berroco Air

What about Plymouth Encore Chunky or Plymouth Encore Chunky Colorspun? They knnit up to the same gauge. It looks like you’d need 10 skeins total. And it looks to be less than $6 per -so not too bad.

OOOOhhh, I like that Plymouth Color Spun. I love varigated yarns, it’s just so hard finding good colors. There’s two I like. There’s a new yarn store near me that I need to check out…hopefully they have some! Actually, what I was thinking is do 8 rows varigated, then alternate 1 or 2 other colors on the other rows.

Kelly