Stupid Question - K2,P2 ribbing

Hi there, I have a very stupid question to ask…

I am knitting some 2-needle mittens, and the first part of the pattern is as follows: “Starting at the cuff, with the #2 needles cast on 30 sts and work in ribbing of k 2, p 2, for 2 inches”.

I have cast on 30 and finished the first row of ribbing, the last 2 stitches were K.

So to my stupid question…For the next row, should it be K2, P2, or P2, K2? I just can’t work it out in my head whether it’s always K2, P2 or I should alternate! :oops:

The back of a knit stitch is a purl, so when you end with knit sts, you start the next row with a purl. Ribbing is always `knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts’ as they look on the row you’re working on. Don’t even try to figure out what you did on the row before, just look at how they are on this row.

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

I always recommend that you learn what the stitches look like. Here’s a sample.

It should have been 28 or 32 stitches cast on so that it was an even number of twos so you would have ended with purls. You followed directions, though.

I’ve seen this a lot on flat knitting. The k2,p2 pattern is uneven, so you begin and end a RS row with k2 and after seaming, there’s 2 knits together so the ribbing is unbroken. If it were k2 at the beginning and p2 at the end, you’d have k1, p1 at the seam.