Stuck

I’m stuck, I’m not sure what my pattern is telling me to do. I’m making a shrug. This is what it says:

Shape sides
Inc and work into patt one st at each end of the next row and 23 foll alt rows, working first and last 6 sts in panel B, the next 1 sts at each side in reverse st st, the next 16 sts at each side in panel A and the final 1 sts at each side in rev St st. 162 sts. Work 1 row, so ending with a WS row.

Inc a st at the beg and end of the next row and every other row after that for a total of 24 inc rows. You’ll have to work the new sts into the stitch pattern as you go.

The first 6 sts are done in the Panel B pattern, the next st is purl on the RS/K on the WS; then you work 16 sts in panel A stitch pattern, and 1 st as p RS/k WS then the last 6 sts in panel B pattern again. After you’ve done 24 inc rows total, do another WS row, then you’ll go on to whatever they say to do next.

Oh my, I’m still sort of lost. Maybe this pattern is a little too difficult for me, I’m still a beginner. I’m sure I could actually knit the garment, it’s just that the pattern is so confusing. Ho hum.

Just take it one step at a time and you’ll be okay. It may help to write things out like I did above. You have panel A in the middle with a purl st on either side of it, then panel B on the outside edges, like this -

bbbbbb P aaaa (16 sts)aaaaa P bbbbbb

On the inc rows panel B will have new sts added to the beg of the one on the R and one at the end of the one on the L. These new sts get added into the pattern. If you write out a couple of rows for panel B I could show you how you would knit it.

I understand the panels but all the abbreviations and such make it hard for me to follow. It’s a Debbie Bliss pattern and I don’t think I’m ready. I don’t know. I’ve never knitted a sweater before, only scarfs and dishcloths.

Curious what pattern this is. If you have a link that would be helpful.

You can type out a few rows and we can help you with the abbreviations. You can also look up the terms on the Glossary page and many of them have videos as well as an explanation.

One more question about this… How do I add 2 stitches to each row, what increase stitch would I use? And would I be making them at the very beginning, like make the first and last stitch an increase?

Yes, it would probably do an inc at the beg and end of the row. But if we could look at the pattern through a link, then we’d know for sure.

Sure! The link on ravelry is: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/09-shrug-2

http://store.vogueknitting.com/p-355-shrug.aspx

Okay, it’s a pay pattern, so we can only look at the pictures. :wink: What part are you working on now? And how is the row written out - add 2 sts at the beg of each row, or increase 2?

Oh sorry, lol. I just started, I’m working on the bottom back. I’ll post what I’ve done so far:

Back
With 4mm (US 6) needles, cast on 114 (124, 134) sts.

Row 1 P1 (2, 3), work across 1st row of panel A, p1
(2, 3), *work across 1st row of panel B, p1 (2, 3),
work across 1st row of panel A, p1 (2, 3); rep from *
to end.

Row 2 K1 (2, 3), work across 2nd row of panel A, k1
(2, 3), *work across 2nd row of panel B, k1 (2, 3),
work across 2nd row of panel A, k1 (2, 3); rep from *
to end.

These 2 rows set the position of the patt panels.
Work a further 6 rows, working correct patt rows.
Change to 4mm (US 6) circular needle.

Now this is where I’m stuck…

Shape sides

Inc and work into patt one st at each end of the next row
and 23 (25, 27) foll alt rows, working first and last 6 sts
in panel B, the next 1 (2, 3) sts at each side in reverse st
st, the next 16 sts at each side in panel A and the final 1
(2, 3) sts at each side in rev St st. 162 (176, 190) sts.
Work 1 row, so ending with a WS row.

Okay, all we need is the Shape sides directions. It says [B]inc[/B] so that’s exactly what you do, one at the beg and one at the end of the next row, then [I]every other[/I] row. Use however it says to increase in the pattern notes.

Ohhh ok, it’s starting to make sense now. So I increase 1 stitch at the beginning and end of every other row for 23 rows? What is it saying about the panel A and B?

Ok, I’m getting so close to understanding, to begin the shape sides part I would start like this:

inc stitch bbbbbb p aaaaa (16) aaaaa p bbbbbb p (alternate a and b until end) end with bbbbbb inc stitch

Then the next row would just be:

bbbbbb k aaaaa (16) aaaaa k bbbbbb k (alternate a and b until end) end with bbbbbb

In total I would stitch 47 rows, end with a non inc row.

The think I’m concerned about is when I was knitting the first 8 rows I began and ended with panel a, won’t the next row, the beginning of the inc mess things up where it’s starting with panel b?

You would make sure to keep your A and B panels in the pattern. Because you’re adding extra sts to B at the beg and end of the rows you don’t start with stitch 1 of it, you would probably keep the new st in stockinette or reverse stockinette.

So would it be:

inc stitch p aaaaa (16) aaaaa p bbbbbb p (alternate a and b until end) p end with inc stitch

Then:
k b k aaaaa (16) aaaaa p bbbbbb p (alternate a and b until end) k b k

Then:
inc stitch p b p aaaaa (16) aaaaa p bbbbbb p (alternate a and b until end) p b p end with inc stitch

Then:
k bb k aaaaa (16) aaaaa p bbbbbb p (alternate a and b until end) k bb k

etc.

Or would I just do stockinette or reverse stockinette until I have increased enough to do whole panel b at front and back?

Oh my gosh, thanks for your help!

I think it may be best to do st st/rev st st until you inc enough to do do an entire panel B; you wouldn’t do any A sts - I think… Take a look at the picture in that area and see if you can tell if it’s panel B or A along the increases. There would be at least one rev st st to separate the two stitch patterns.

Ok, I think I got it… holy smokes, that was confusing… Thank so much for your help!! I’m going to start it tonight.