Stuck with "at the same time" instructions

Hi I am knitting a wrap cardigan - Ivy by Glenna C - Don’t know yet how to link a pattern. Done the back and now I am stuck with the front left were I have to start the “at the same time” instructions. I was told to rewrite the rows so it would be easier to follow, but I don’t know how to. I have read posts and posts, but I think my brain is frozen. I would appreciate if you can help me to understand how to do it. Thanks

Welcome!
When I come to these kind of directions, I write down a column of row numbers. Then I make the next column the neck edge and the third column the armhole edge (these are for the left front).

From there, I fill in first all the armhole directions and then, all the neck directions (bind offs, decs, incs, whatever).
With this kind of list I can knit and check off the rows as I go along. It’s an easy reference tool and I don’t need to go back to the pattern paragraphs.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTivy.html Great looking wrap sweater.

Hi thank you so much for your instructions. So I will knit the (Rs) of the neckline, waist and armhole shape at the same time and then do the same with the (Ws). The wrap sweater looks beautiful I shall celebrate whatever year I finish it

It is a beautiful sweater and very graceful looking.
Yes, some decs on WS rows as well as RS rows. I find it easier to number [I]all[/I] the rows (even the 5 rows worked without shaping under the waist, armhole shaping). That way I don’t have to think while I’m knitting.

It is a great tip that I will follow for sure. Thanks again for your help.

Is the order in which I follow the “at the same time” instructions the same as it appears in the pattern? Confused as I am it sounds like I should knit the armhole shape first (BO some sts), waist shaping (dec.) and then neckline shape. Am I wrong on this?

You want to knit these shapings at the same time, not one after the other. The shaping on the armholes and on the neck may occur in the same row or in different rows.

Try writing out just one set of shaping then add in the second and see if that makes sense. I’ll try it too for this pattern and post the set up that I get. [U]I need to know which size you’re making.[/U]

I am knitting size 40. I could not thank you enough for that. I will get it eventually, but is not happening now.

Here are the directions and the row numbers for the pattern after the “At the same time…” note. There are too many rows for me to write out all of them but you can see the progression.

Next Row [RS]: K to last 13 sts, k2tog, k1, work to end in patt as set.
Dec at the neck edge on rows 1,3,5,7,9

Next Row [WS]: Work 10 sts in patt as set, p1, p2tog, p to end.
Dec on rows 2,4,6,8,10

Next Row [RS]: K to last 13 sts, k2tog, k1, work to endpatt as set.
Dec on rows 11,13,15,17,19, etc. up to and including row 87. Then dec the same place on rows 89,93,97,101,105,109,113,117

For the waist shaping
Next Row [RS]: K1, m1, work in patt to end.
Inc using M1 on rows 1,7,13,19,25,31,37,43,49

For the armhole shaping:
When the work measure 14.25", bind off 6sts and then dec at the armhole edge ([RS]:K2, ssk, work in patt to end) every other row 6x total. I don’t know what row number this will be as it depends on where you are at 14.25".

Hi salmonmac thank you so much for that. Just back from work later on I will carefully read and follow your instructions. I am delighted to be able to carry on my knitting thanks to you :hug: