Stuck reading a pattern

I’m new to knitting. I am at a place in the pattern that reads,

“Change to larger circular needles and continue in St st with k2, p3 ribbing at underarms for 4.5 inches as follows: k1, p3, k 67[72, 77, 82, 87], p3, k1 x 2 [place a contrasting color marker after first repeat to mark opposite underarm.]”

Do I continue knitting the k2, p2 ribbing for 4.5 inches, then continue with the *kn, p3, k67 etc.?

The k2 p2 ribbing is only at the underarm portions, the rest of the sts are done as shown. Knit all that for 4½".

Thank you, but how do I know where the underarm portions begin and end?

I think it would help to have a link to the pattern or even a pattern name.
You probably have a marker for the beginning of round which marks one underarm and now you’re putting in another marker for the opposite underarm at the end of one repeat. See if there are any notes earlier in the pattern with regard to the number of sts in the actual underarm.
And of course, the link will help if available.

The sts between the repeats - k1, p3, k 67[72, 77, 82, 87], p3, k1 x 2 [place a contrasting color marker after first repeat to mark opposite underarm.]" would be the underarm sts. Probably at the beginning/end of the row.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTbrisa.html

Thanks for the link. The pattern, k1, p3, k 67[72, 77, 82, 87], p3, k1 x 2 can be rewritten:
k1, p3, k 67[72, 77, 82, 87], p3, k1 k1, p3, k 67[72, 77, 82, 87], p3, k1
or
[U]k1, p3[/U], k 67[72, 77, 82, 87], [I]p3, k2, p3[/I], k 67[72, 77, 82, 87], [U]p3, k1[/U]
The part in italics is one underarm and the part in underlined is the other underarm. Since it’s in the round, this underarm is split in the pattern between the end of the line and the brginning of the line (p3, k2, p3) but in the round, it’ll be continuous.
Just follow the pattern as written with the markers and it’ll work out and the underarms will be clear.

OK, I got help before on the same pattern, so here goes again:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTbrisa.html

the directions told me to :

:happydance: Row 1 [WS]: slip 1, k1, p to 2 sts from end, k2.

:happydance: Row 2 [RS}: slip 1, p1, k to 2 sts from end, p2.

Then begin decreasing by working Row 2 as follows:
Row 2: slip 1, p2, ssk, k to 4 sts from end, k2 tog, p2

Decrease a total of 10 times, until there are 51 [56, 61, 66, 71] sts remaining, then work Row 2 as before [no decreases] for 1 inch more.

[COLOR=“Lime”]I did this by knitting the Row 1 & Row 2 that was first typed:happydance: [/COLOR]

OK, then the directions read:[COLOR=“Black”]

[U][B]Divide for shulder straps[/B][/U]:[/COLOR]

On next RS row: work 20[22, 24, 26, 28] sts, BO next 11[12, 13, 14, 15] sts in purl, work remaining 14 [18, 22, 27, 31] sts.

[COLOR=“lime”]If I do that, the number of stitches do not match the directions! (I am working on the small size). HELP![/COLOR]

Okay, when you BO you have to knit 2 sts to BO 1. So do 20 sts, then 2 more, lift the st over, do another, lift the st over. Count the number of times you lift the st over, not how many sts you knit. Then you have 1 st left from the last BO and work another 14 sts.

But you’re right, there’s a problem with the stitch numbers - if you start with 51 sts then 20, plus 11 plus 14 only makes 45 sts. The next size doesn’t work out either. And the numbers have been corrected. I can’t find any further corrections, so I suggest you contact the designer.

Pending a reply from the designer, this works as a backup:
“Work to within 2sts of marker indicating beg of round and BO 4sts in purl, p1 k67 p2, turn and work directions for front on these 71sts (includes one st on the needle from the bind off).
Decrease a total of 10 times (decrease 20sts), until there are 51 sts remaining, then work Row 2 as before [no decreases] for 1 inch more.
Divide for shoulder straps:
On next RS row: work 20sts, BO next 11sts in purl, work remaining 19sts (again, you’ll have one st on the needle from the bind off).
Work back and forth on 20sts for strap until 10sts remain.”

Right, she’s past the decrease rows, where it says to work another inch then do the BO row. But the numbers don’t match. For her size she should have 56 sts (unless she means the smallest size given which is an XS) the pattern says to work 22 sts, BO 12 sts then work 18 sts, which is only 42, nothing close to 56. If she does mean the smallest size, then the sts don’t match 51 either.