Stuck on the Heel...Please HElp

I am knitting socks for the first time and feeling somewhat confused.

The instructions are from Bernat ‘Ankle Sock’. freebie pattern that was on the backside of the skein label or (here http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3012 )I have completed the first bit but stuck on the make heel part.
The directions read:
MAKE HEEL: Divide 28sts on 2nd needle onto 2 needles and leave for instep (ok so far)
K16 off 1st needle onto end of 3rd needle (wouldn’t this close the sock?)
:whoosh:
The rest I think that I understand. I have done short row before for shaping so I think I can handle the rest. I am just uncertain about which sts are knitted when and where for starting the heel.

Thank you in advance for your help. I unfortunately do not have anyone local to bother with the newbie sock question.

Hi, and congrats on working or your first sock & Welcome to KH :yay:! They just want you to move the sts around to set the heel up…it won’t close the sock up…Needle 3 should be close to needle 1 and you just knit the 16sts from needle 1 onto needle 3…

Oh…well that makes sense! So move the sts from 1 to the end of what was 3. I was counting the sts that I split up from the 2nd needle as the 2nd & 3rd needle and the original 3rd as the 4th.
Thanks for the encouragement, I will conquer socks!
:thumbsup:

ok, I thought I understood but was mistaken.
I am at the part of the pattern listed as "Shape Heel:
row1: p16, p2tog, p1, turn.
row2: k3, sl1, k1, psso, k1, turn.
row3: p4, p2tog, p1, turn.
row4: k5, sl1, k1, psso, k1, turn.
Cont. in same manner to 17 sts remain.

Does this mean to repeat rows 1-4, 2-4, or 3-4…(smacks forehead I like to believe that this is a lame pattern because I have seen the instruction videos and they make sense to me but this does not) Never the less I am still determined to have a sock! Maybe two.

You will get them once you finish this first one it will be a breeze :thumbsup:

They want you to continue in the same manner, you are knitting/purling to one stitch before the gap then you work your decrease and the extra st. So on the next row knit/purl to 1 before the gap, work decrease, work k1/p1 and turn

Here is a link to Silver’s Sock tutorial with pictures of the heel and gaps :thumbsup:

Why oh why can’t the pattern read that simply?! :teehee:
Once again I it makes complete sense. By following the pattern instruction it was lopsided. I found a few videos but i do believe that a ‘German Heel’ although interesting was not what I was looking for.
Thanks again for putting me on the right path. It really is appreciated!:hug:

:hug:YAY! I’m glad and I can’t wait to see your first sock :happydance:

WOoooHOoooo :woohoo: :woot: :woohoo:

Ladies & Gentlemen
I present to you…

A SOCK!

:yay: I can not believe how excited I am over something that has been done for hundreds of years. But it was very exciting & my first non-flat knitted item. (And no one was hurt )

Well, knitted item now accomplished, I am off to work. Thanks again dustinac! Without you asstinace this would have been a lot more difficult!