Stuck on shawl

Hello all,

I’m working on a pattern by The Next Beautiful Thing called the Highland Travel Shawl. The pattern is very easy but I’ve run into a snag. The pattern is free on ravelry.

The cast on is 240 sts, divided by a SM at 120. The pattern is two alternating rows of row 1: K3, SSK, K to 2 sts before marker, SSK, sm, K2TOG, knit to last 5 sts, K2TOG, K3, row 2: K all sts

So every other row, the pattern decreases by four sts. So 14 rows in I had 212 sts. 22 rows in I had 196 sts. The pattern says to repeat rows 1 & 2 until there are 8 sts left. Right now I’m down to 12 sts, 6 on either side of my SM. But there is no way to follow row 1 to get the sts down to 8. Am I missing something? My math is right, I’ve done 92 rows since I hit 196 sts which puts me at 12 sts. Can anyone explain how to do this? I need to have 8 sts before I can follow the next row.

Any help is appreciated!

Welcome to KH!
Simple but lovely shawl.
Pattern calls for 4sts dec every other row. Starting at 196sts, 94 rows (47 decrease rows) should leave you with 8sts on the needle (196-188=8).
Since you have 12sts now, do one more repeat of rows 1 and 2 and you’ll have 8sts for the finishing row.

Thank you for your reply. I guess what I’m asking is how to take 12 sts down to 8. I can use the row 1 pattern because I need a minimum of 14 sts. To elaborate: I have 6 sts, SM, 6 sts. The row 1 pattern calls to K3, SSK, K to last two sts before marker, SSK, sm, K2TOG, K to last 5 sts, K2TOG, K3. That needs at least 7 sts on either side of the SM.

Thank you for your reply. I guess what I’m asking is how to take 12 sts down to 8. I can’t use the row 1 pattern because I need a minimum of 14 sts. To elaborate: I have 6 sts, SM, 6 sts. The row 1 pattern calls to K3, SSK, K to last two sts before marker, SSK, sm, K2TOG, K to last 5 sts, K2TOG, K3. That needs at least 7 sts on either side of the SM.

Ah, yes, I see. I would k3, sk2togp, sm, k3tog, k3. That’ll give you 8sts and I think the look will be ok at this point.
One alternative is to k2, ssk, ssk, sm k2tog, k2tog, k2 which is similar to the next row. You’d have to give it a try to see which works better.

Yes I thought of the K2 at the beginning and the end as well to make up the “missing” sts. I just needed to make sure that was an acceptable alternative. I’m still new to all this! Thanks again