Stuck on chart symbol, please help

Hello, just joined this forum and looking forward to reading posts and learning.

I have not been able to find outt what this symbol in a knitting chart means. I’ve scoured Russian translations, Japanese translations & just don’t really know. Image3

Hope someone can let me know!

Hello
Is this from one of the Japanese bibles of stitches? Do you have the title of the book and chart/pattern number?
If you have the book there is a section for the stitch symbols inside the book.
There is also an online book somewhere (I don’t know remember where!) which this chart may have come from and which will ha e the symbols in it.
Generally the charts can’t really be read alone without the key to the symbols, which would be true of English or other language patterns too, the key being needed to really know what it means.

The image is bit blurry on my tablet so it isn’t easy for me to see clearly but this symbol may appear in the book I have. I’ll look later if you have no other answer before then.

The Japanese patterns are lovely.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!
It might be a k2tog tbl. That would twist the stitch and compensate for the yarn over preceding it to keep the stitch number constant. The same would be true for the corresponding symbol on the other side of the main panel, a twisted ssk.
Where is your pattern from, a book of sts or a knitting pattern? It’s an intricate and beautiful one.

1 Like

Hello, thanks for your reply, it is from 260 Japanese Patterns, Knitting Patterns, Russian Language and it’s pattern 15, but I’ve looked through the symbols at the begining and I can’t find it, plus the instructions are in Russian!

It’s a new world, knitting wasn’t so confusing back in the day!

Thanks for your reply. The book I got it from is called 260 Japanese Patterns, Knitting Patterns, Russian Language and I got it on etsy. It’s also in Russian which doesn’t help!

I thought it might be a ktbl of some kind too, I’ll keep in mind your suggestion when I reach the start of that part.

Let us know how it goes. I hadn’t seen that chart symbol before either.

1 Like

Screenshot_20240707-105557_1

It is at end of book

2 Likes

It’s a different book to the one I have but I think the symbols will be the same.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Thank you! I have the digital ebook, so still haven’t found it, but You’ve cracked it & with English instructions. Brilliant.

Please can I ask for the book you got this from, the name of it?

Thanks, but I only have the ebook & looked on the page number, but those instructions aren’t there.

I have a link to an ebook which has the pictures @ZKOhio posted
https://www.li.ru/interface/pda/?jid=4658381&pid=381496938&redirected=1&page=0&backurl=/users/sama_lubov/post381496938/

You have to scroll all the way to the end and find the symbol section.
Honestly I cannot understand the drawings and the description is not in English, I’m not sure how useful it would be for you.

I have a different book
250 Japanese Knitting Stitches the original pattern bible by Hitomi Shida
Different patterns, just as beautiful. There are symbols at the beginning with descriptions in English (like the one I photographed for you) then all the pattern charts, then at the end there is a section of drawings of how to make the stitch with English description (similar to the one ZKOhio posted).
To be honest some of the descriptions I cannot follow. I had a post not so long ago about one which was apparently possible to do in a single maneuver without changing the position of the stitches but in the end I decided it wasn’t possible. It was a single crossover which needed a cable needle or to use your fingers to change the position before working.
Some of the descriptions would be a lot easier for me to understand if they were translated to an Engkish terminology rather than the description.
Anyway, the patterns are worth the extra effort to understand!

I think if you want to work that particular pattern you might be better off buying an English translation of the book.
I think this is the one you might have the ebook of.

The book I have is also available on amazon and some knitting shops online and book shops.

I find it best to photocopy the page I want to use, enlarge it, draw any guides I need on it then write my symbol key on the print out.

I think you might be right. Honestly the way it is written I am not sure. This is why I’d love an English terminology translation rather than a description as the description sounds harder to perform than the stitches really are.

Thanks again! I’ll buy a copy of it, I got the ebook in russian cheap, but should have known better than to get a non English book.

Like you, I copy a chart & blow it up as big as possible in word, then print it. My eyesight isn’t as sharp now.

I copied the photo you gave in your post above & printed it out, so at least I have that now.

Wonderful! Now I can get on with knitting this, which I found on the net:

3 Likes

Great top.
I look forward to seeing pics of your progress.

I’ve been working on this, given I don’t get on with charts, this is how I’m tackling it. I printed large copu. Highlighted the RS rows. Then I marked 3 seperate colums on the chart, side panels & centre panel), Then I wrote down the symbols on a piece of paper I use to underline whichever row I’m working.

There’s plenty of mistakes, but it’s the back of the garment, so I hope by the time I do the front, I’ll be so familiar with the pattern it’ll be better, & while I’ve decided not to do the bobbles on the back (too much to cope with, lol), I will include them on the front.

2 Likes

Looking good! The lace pattern will really shine when it’s off the needle and blocked but it looks quite lovely already.
if translating the chart is easier for you then by all means work it that way. It may be that you will even get to like charts more as you go along. I have to admit that they are a favorite of mine.