Stripes and carrying yarn

Does anyone know of a video or explanation that would help me to understand how to carry yarn or complete stripes? I want to get into both, but don’t know where to begin. I have a friend that knits but she says she can’t explain how to carry yarn.

Example… say i want to knit the common christmas tree dishcloth… I want the cloth to be red, but the tree in the middle to be green… what’s the best way to go about that?

And stripes… how do you carry the yarn up the side?

Thanks in advance… you little lifesavers you.

well i have never been a fan of carrying the yarn up the side so someone else will have to explain that. and i am not going to really explain the colorwork either actually…lol. go here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ and scroll down for knitting with 2 colors at the same time. in your christmas tree example i think you would use intarsia more so than stranding but you can check it out and see.

Yes, a Christmas tree would be intarsia.

To carry the yarn up the side, just have it drape over the yarn that you’re using so it gets caught along the side as you move up the rows.

I watched the video, but I am still kinda clueless. LOL

I am curious as to what “mosaic” knitting is… she briefly mentioned it, then said that it would be in another video, but i noticed that the video is coming soon.

well let me say this…the intarsia method i was using pretty quickly because it really is as as can be. i was even doing that before i was doing yarn overs and decreases really because it didn’t require TOOO much thought in the pattern i was doing.

stranding has been fairly easy too. but i may be doing it wrong too…lol. i have never watched that video i just started carrying the yarn behind the work as i was knitting and didn’t worry about it beyond that. however i have only done it on hats that were knit in the round so that is likely to be the difference. i would say just dive into it. thinking about it too much ALWAYS makes it harder than it really is!

I guess what I don’t get (even after watching the video) is what happens to the yarn you drop when you get to the next row? Wait… did that make sense?

Okay, say I am doing the xmas tree dishcloth i want to do… the first few rows are red… then i have a few stitches in red for the edge borders, then i pick up green to do the “bottom” of the tree, then i drop the green and do the red border on the other side… i proceed along and when i get to the next row where i have to pick up the green again, it is now a row below… so how is that picked up into the next row without making some funky stitch? or is a funky stitch inevitable?

well if you are doing colorwork the backside is always going to look a bit funky because that is where those funky stitches will be. remember though that the stitch in the row below isn’t really that far away most of the time. you should be able to just follow the intarsia technique and have it mostly be okay. however, your backside is going to look a little funny (yeah i know what i said there! :wink: ) if you want to hide that you would probably want to stitch two of them and then stitch them together (or maybe do double knitting? i haven’t even considered that for myself yet so i haven’t watched the video.) however this will make a VERY thick dishcloth so it may be better as a hotpad! :wink:

I shall venture into the xmas tree dishcloth tonight. I told someone I would make a set of holiday ones for a raffle, so trying to make good on my promise and try new things at the same time. That way, if i hate them I am giving them away! And if I love them then i can always duplicate them.

Any idea where i can find a snowflake dishcloth pattern? I posted it in the pattern section with no reply.

If you have a situation in intarsia where, let’s say the trunk of the tree is only 4 stitches but the next row of the green starts 10 stitches before that, you can attach another green yarn and start it from there. When you get to the yarn where the 4 stitches were, you can either switch to that yarn or twist it in and leave the tail for weaving later.

Just make sure that you hold the yarn your going to stop using over to the left so the new color is brought up from under it. This will avoid holes where the two colors meet.

You just let the yarn hang down the back, and pull it back up to use again on the next row as you work your way up the tree. Just make sure to twist the two colors in the back to prevent those holes.