Striped Ribbing Question-Don't like purl nubs showing!

Hi Knitters!

I’m mostly self-taught so I don’t know all the tricks and was hoping someone here may have one I can try for a striped K1 P1 rib.

I’m using a worsted weight yarn and I don’t like the way the purl nub of the other color shows in a new color row. It probably wouldn’t be so noticeable on a finer yarn, but this pattern needs a worsted weight. I tried just knitting the first row of the new color then continuing the rib on the next row (I think I must have read that somewhere) but it makes the rib look kind of puffy-ish (probably because of the weight of the yarn) and it doesn’t lay flat. I guess I could just stick to one color, but what’s the fun in that???

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks a bunch!

-mego

To the best of my knowledge, there isn’t a way to prevent the purl bump colour problem. It may be unsightly on stripes but I can’t see any other way of doing it.

The only way I’ve done it is to knit that first row of the new color all the way around. I’m not a big fan of purl bumps, either. When all was said and done, I didn’t feel it altered the ribbing enough to negate how neat the colors looked.

I’m not even sure what you mean by “purl bumps”… :??

When you change colors, you get an even line across on the knit side, but on the purl side, it’s not as neat and even where the two colors meet. One side of the purl stitch has the new color.