Striped Cowl

I am making a striped cowl to match the hat I made. I have had to change colors several times, and now I have lots of tails. Many of the videos I have seen about weaving in the ends do it as they go along, but it is a little too late for that on this project. Are there some videos that can show me how to do this effectively? Also, I worry about those color change tails because there are no knots and I am always afraid my whole project will unravel. These may seem like really elementary questions (sorry, I am actually quite an experienced knitter, but I have never done color work!)

There are several ways to work this and your yarn won’t unravel.

I leave a bit of an end, maybe as much as a half inch tail on the inside of a sweater or a hat. It won’t win prizes at the county fair but the end won’t poke through to the front either.

I hate to weave in ends and knots invariable show through for my color work. I just finished Moment, a shawl/wrap and learned how to spit splice. I’m sure you can use a drop or two of water if spit splice sounds gross. Several technique(s) can be found on Google.
I know this doesn’t help you with your current project but for future color work, this may be your solution to weaving in those dreaded ends.

The first sweater I made when I found this site in January was made with some horribly dyed yarn with awful dark blotches through several balls. Just to get the thing made I used dozens and dozens of shorter lengths of yarn so I could bypass the blotches.
All woven in, no knots. As salmonmac said, leaving a little tail inside. Yes the inside is messy but the outside never gets tails or knots poking through and the sweater has been worn and washed many many times. This was a dk acrylic yarn.
Trust the weave in. Remember to stretch it out a bit after weaving so it doesn’t pull. And you can re trim the ends after washing.

More recently I was knitting with cotton linen mix, very slippery and splitty. On that one I was a bit concerned about leaving tails that would split and be more ugly and vulnerable to damage.
I found a tutorial for weaving in cotton, begin as usual with several stitches, then split the yarn and weave each of the 2 lengths in different directions, then split those and weave in the very thin thread that results from splitting, again in different directions. It makes a very flat weave in and it feels very secure, because the final tail left is very thin I am not worried about splitting or poking. This has also been washed and survived.
If you are using cotton and need the video I can try to find it for you, or Google weaving in cotton yarn or weaving in slippery yarn.

1 Like

Thanks! I found some videos and I am confident that I wove the ends in well!

3 Likes