Stretching mock cable

Hi, all, new here. I’m knitting a bookend scarf, that starts with a mock cable, seed stitch, and then finishes of with mock cable again. The seed stitch is the correct width, but I’ve noticed my cable is much thinner. How can I stretch it out so that it’s not all wonky? Or will it fix itself? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to KH!
Cables do pull in the knit fabric. Usually, patterns compensate for this by having you decrease sts after the cable and before the next pattern stitch. You may be able to block some of this out after washing and blocking, especially if the yarn is wool.

Thank you! I’m using a pattern off of yarnspiration, I just didn’t know if I was allowed to include it, but I’m not sure what you mean by blocking it out. I’ve been knitting for a while, but I’m just starting to branch out more and learning new techniques

Links to patterns are fine. We just can’t post large portions of patterns on the forum because of copyrights. Thank you for thinking about this.
Blocking evens out the sts and gives a good finished look to knit fabric. I usually wash by hand, spin in the washing machine for 10-15secs and pin out to dry. Check the label on your yarn for the best washing instructions though.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you so much!!

Thank you for the link to blocking tips. Hope to get your input on specific questions I’m wondering about. I’m currently knitting a cardi, will be 5 pcs to seam together when done. The yarn is a "super bulky ", 82% acrylic, 10% wool, 8% rayon. “Machine wash & dry”. So, it looks like washing/soaking is recommended BEFORE seaming right? Should I handwash or machine wash before blocking? Since it’s mostly synthetic fiber should I even bother blocking? The pattern is Moss stitch with hem and cuffs of 1x1 ribbing.
I’m not finished but I look forward to your advice😉

This tutorial seems to recommend washing and pinning out before seaming. I do this with wool.

I don’t have that much experience with acrylic however, outside of a few baby sweater. Maybe @Jan_in_CA has a recommendation?

1 Like

Thx so much for this link, too!!
I love that I can always expect great advice quickly from this forum😁