stockinette

I made the most beautiful sweater for myself. However, it is in stockinette and I made it in 99% acrylic yarn. As you can imagine, it curls a bit on the bottom. I was told that maybe I should use some spray starch and use a low iron with a cotton tea towel over it. I am scared because I don’t want to ruin it- it took me a year to make it. Any suggestions about what I can do to make it not curl now that it is all finished?.

If the bottom does not have any ribbing you can attach some yarn an knit the ribbing for about 2 inches and that should stop the curling . But if you did not put ribbing on the sweater, try this take a light weight towel and wet it and wring out most of the water, , lay the sweater out on a flat surface and lay the towel on the sweater, take your steam iron and hold above the towel, steam the sweater. Make sure you do not put the iron on the sweater or your stitches will be flattened. Do this for every area of the sweater that is curling. Wet the towel as needed to complete the steaming.I hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi @Melanie_Patterson
@DaylilyDawn gave some really blocking ideas with the wet towel or attaching some ribbing. You can also try a full wet block. It doesn’t involve any heat which is always a good thing when dealing with acrylic. Here’s how to do a How to do a Full Wet Block
The details and images on wet blocking are in the second portion of this blog post.
Good luck! :smiley:

You started out incorrectly by using a yarn with so much acrylic in it. You should know better! It just will never look good, no matter what you do to it. It is cheap, it looks cheap, it makes YOU look cheap! Don’t do that to yourself!!

Since you spent so much time knitting this piece, you want it to look the best, and to last a long time. Sorry to tell you this, but this yarn will not do that for you. Lesson learned?

To prevent curling – and it is the nature of stockinette to curl, no matter what fiber is used – you need to use a balanced stitch pattern. Because the knit stitch pulls in one direction, you need to mix in some purl stitches. An even balance of both knits and purls is best. Something like a 2/2 rib is very good – which is why it is often used as a hem of a sweater – or other combinations, such as seed stitch, garter stitch, moss stitch, and so forth.

Some people have used a row or two of single crochet around the edge to control the curling but I am never pleased with the way it looks. It depends on what it is, and finishing details.

Now that the piece is completed, there is not much you can do. Using a small amount of heat in the blocking MIGHT help, but be so very careful. Heat will destroy acrylic, so do a test first.

You might b able to sew on some gros-grain ribbon along the bottom edge, to help control the curl, but that is not always a solution. Just use better yarn in the future. Sorry! :frowning:

What pattern did you use? It would be helpful to know what your sweater looks like. It’s possible that the bottom was intended to roll.

I’ve done sweaters from acrylic yarn and acrylic blends and they turn out just fine. Acrylics are popular for many reasons and there are many great acrylic and acrylic blend yarns. Right now I’m using an acrylic wool blend that will go in the washer and dryer.

Please don’t criticize the choice of yarn. Many of us use acrylic yarns and get excellent results. I’m sorry to say that I don’t know if there is anything helpful in your post because I just won’t even read the whole thing.

1 Like