Stockinette: Knit or Purl the First Row?

Hi there,

I just bought a new pattern, and it’s a little vague. It goes as such:

Knit rows 1-16 in garter stitch in Color A.
Switch to Color B and knit in stockinette for rows 17-30.

My question is, when switching from garter stitch to stockinette, should I knit or purl the first row (row 17)? I think if it were as just one color, I would wing it and then be consistent with that throughout the rest of the pattern, but since there’s a color change, I want to make sure I get it right.

I appreciate any and all help :slight_smile: thank you!

With color changes it’s best to do them on the front or right side of the work so you don’t get the purl bumps color issues. Since the first part is garter stitch I’d just switch color then consider that side the front.

The pattern probably takes the above into consideration, but can you tell us the name of the pattern and provide a link if possible? Seeing the pattern or the picture can help a lot. (Don’t post the pattern here because it’s a copyright issue.)

Thanks so much, Jan! So, yes, odd rows will be the right side of the work, and I’ll switch to Color B on row 17 to avoid any color issues. You’re saying that I should knit that row? I’ve included the link below:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1442233932

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Link didn’t work because it was a link to your personal transaction. Just a link to the page with the pattern will work. Or just give the name. We can often find patterns with that.

It doesn’t matter if it’s an odd number because once you start by changing the color you’ll have the front/back established. Now some patterns actually use the purl bump color change as part of the design. You can probably tell by looking at the picture.

I’d knit row 17. Another way to look at it is you’re working rows 17-30. Stockinette is knit a row, purl a row. You’re probably supposed to end on a WS row so that would make row 30 a WS row and 17 a RS row. If you start with a purl row you would need to knit one fewer or one more row to end on the WS.

Ha, whoops! Sorry about that, it’s called the Kyla Striped Pullover Sweater, this link should work:

Ohhh, that makes sense. You’re probably right – and now that I think about it, if I were to purl row 17, that would probably make the previous row of color A stockinette :woman_facepalming: duh! Thank you so much :slight_smile: