Stitch trouble

Hello, I need some help! I am a very new knitter…and don’t have anyone who can help me figure things out, just my how to book and the internet. I wish I had someone, but anyways…I am working on a scarf right now ( thats all I have done) and am doing a checkerboard pattern where it requires me to twice a row switch from knit to purl and vice versa…and it does not matter how tight I pull the yarn, a few rows later it is always bunchy and with a big hole where it switches. I take the yarn from front to back or back to front, so I am not sure if it is how it is to look or if I am doing something wrong! PLEASE HELP!
~Tracy
and if you know someone who lives near williamsport, pa and can help me learn more…please send them my way. I am so interested in learning more, but it is hard for me to learn by pictures.

I know it can be frustrating, Tracy, but just PRACTICE. It takes time for you to get a hold on your own tension and technique. Maybe try wrapping the yarn around your fingers a little differently? Something will CLICK and you will be much happier with your results!

Do you have a yarn store anywhere near you? They usually have formal classes, and/or will be happy to help with a small problem.

It sounds like you might accidentally be doing a ‘yarn over’ when you switch between the two types of stitches. Make sure you aren’t wrapping the yarn over the needle when you’re moving it from the front to the back or vice versa.