Stitch 'n bitch book

There are many references to this book. Is it recommended?

Recommended by whom?
Some people love it, some people hate it.
It depends on what you’re looking for.
IMO, it’s a good beginner’s book that will guide you through the basics of learning to knit without being intimidating. When you finish it, you’ll be able to knit, but you won’t be a full-fledged knitter.

It was the one of the first “knitting is cool and not just for grannies” books, and frankly, I find the writing style annoying – it tries too hard to be hip. (Then again, maybe I’ve got old nerves).
The projects – well, again, it depends on your taste.

Why don’t you go to a bookstore and check it out thoroughly to see if it suits you. Then compare it to a book like “Vogue Knitting,” which gives you many more options and is a lifetime reference book. Or Sally Melville’s “The Knit Stitch,” or Maggie Righetti’s “Knitting in Plain English,” both of which are like having great teachers at your side.
Then decide.

Go down to your local library and see what they have on the shelves. Many of them have a lot of the newer books, as well as older ones. Look at all of them, check them out and see which you like. Keep checking back because they tend to be checked out a lot and you may miss some of the good ones. You may have to put in a request for the more popular ones.

sue

Thank you. My library is pathetic, but I will try a book store. I don’t want a beginner’s book so I’ll skip the bitchin’ book. I want a good reference book.

i have stitch 'n bitch - i like it for some of the pictures and instructions. although the patterns aren’t ones i’d do too many of, they’re a good reference for some techniques.

if you want a good general reference book, you might try The Knitting Answer Book.

Knitting in Plain English is my FAVOURITE beginners book. HIGHLY recommended!!!