Stitch multiples and that little *?

This particular stitch pattern I’m attempting is confusing. If it says “Multiple of 8 sts plus 1” doesn’t that mean that you need nine stitches for each occurence of the pattern sequence? You cast on in 9 stitch multiples? Help, please…?

And…
That will probably fix this problem, but… I cast on 27 stitches (see above) and it says:
“1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th rows (RS): *k2, p1, k3, p1, k1; repeat from * to last st, k1.”

Okay… so i did the sequence, and then i did it a second time. The third time i finished the row on a purl stitch. What’s wrong with this picture? Did I not translate the instructions properly?

Thanks a ton!

I think it means to make it a multiple of eight and then add one after that. So eight times whatever number and then plus one.

so if you had 3 sets of 8 you would have 24+1? you only add the one once?

I think so. I was hoping someone else would show up and say if this is right!

sends up flare for verification

:lol:

<beams in before Ingy>
Yes… for the afghan I’m doing for DH, repeat is 14+1. I cast on 83 stitches. That’s 5 repeats {14x5=70} , plus the one extra stitch {+1}, and a border of 6 stitches on either side {6+6}.
<beams out before Ingy notices>

cateknits was right in her first answer - if you add up the number of stitches in your repeated pattern (k2, p1, k3, p1, k1), you get 8, so you cast on some multiple of 8 and then add one more cast on stitch just at the end. per the row instruction, you’d repeat that pattern til the last stitch, which is then a k1 - that takes up your one extra cast on stitch.

ok. so if i want three repeats it will be 8+1, 8+1, 8+1, 1 ? Or 8, 8, 8, 1??
Still confused… :shock:

It’s a multiple of eight stitches, and then one at the very end. Three repeats would be 8+8+8+1, five repeats would be 8+8+8+8+8+1, et cetera. If they wanted a multiple of nine stitches, they’d say so. :slight_smile:

I understand it can certainly be confusing :wink: Your 2nd set of #'s is the correct one…8,8,8,1 :thumbsup:

okay, that makes tons more sense. i feel enlightened!
thanks everyone! :XX:

You are very welcome… sometimes the simplest of instructions are the most difficult to comprehend…

[size=2]<refuses to admit her problem with understanding how to do a yarn over… and the subsequent realization a year later that she was doing them wrong>[/size]