Stitch holder-pattern question-booties

Ok…I knitted the entire first bootie and ended up with the strap of the Mary Jane booties on the wrong side for the button hole attachment, so I’m at the point on the new (left) bootie where I think I messed up and need a little advice.

The pattern states: Knit 9, beginning with next 2 stitches bind off 21 sts, knit across remaining 9 sts. This includes 1 st already on right needle after the bindoff.
PUT FIRST SET OF 9 STS ON HOLDER
KNIT 9 STS ON NEEDLE
BIND OFF ALL NINE STS; CUT YARN
REJOIN YARN WHERE YOU STARTED BINDING OFF 21 STS. CAST ON 12 STS USING CABLE CAST-ON METHOD

As you can see in the photo, I’ve attached a small pin where I STARTED the bind off. Which side do I place on the holder…the first set of stitches on the needle or the side where the pin is placed? I know that I’m making this much more difficult than it should be:whoosh:

My first thought was that you’d put the stitches that are on the right in the photo on the holder as the first set.

However, since it’s garter, does it really matter?

I thought the same way Ingrid, but down in the pattern, it says with wrong sides together, whipstitch cast-on edges together. After finishing the first bootie, the button hole for the strap was on the opposite side of where it should have been in order to work, so I started from scratch again. The first time, I put the stitches that were at the tip of the needle side onto the stitch holder, so thought perhaps that was why the strap part didn’t work out.

Then it might work putting the right hand stitches on the holder.:shrug:

I’ll give it a try Ingrid…thanks so much and I’ll let you know if it works out this time.