Stitch count off by one on jumper

Off by a frustrating one stitch. Pullover lace jumper, Buchanan by Louise Harding. 10 row pattern make initial back and front panels (knitted sideways).

I have searched online for errata and found a published error on row 9, but it is row 7 giving me trouble. Row 6 ends with 49 sts. Row 7 should end with 50 sts but I keep getting 49 sts. I have done visual of chart and published writen directions paying attention to yarn overs and k2tog’s, seeing if I should end up +1, which it should, but somehow, still woeful 49 sts and cannot figure how to get to 50 on this row. Here are the written instructions:

Row 7 (begins with 49sts): K3, yo, sl1, K2tog, psso, yo, K5, yo, K2tog, K4, yo, K2tog, P1, K2, yo, K2tog tbl, K2, K2tog, yo, K2, P1, K3, (yo, P2tog) twice, yo, K1tbl, K1, K1tbl, yo, sl1, K2tog, psso, yo, K5.

I know I should wrap yarn twice when working the 1st yo before p2tog (as opposed to just a yarn forward - prepping for a normal purl), so that is not the problem, and I bring yarn to back after any slip stitch before the next K2tog. When counting yo’s and comparing to the K2tog’s, it seems I should get my 1 increase, but it does not work out. Tried to “fudge” somewhere on row 7 or 8 to get my 50, but I feel like I may ruin the lace design. Anyone out there see the error of my ways???

I count 49sts at the beginning of the row and 50sts when the row is finished.
Each yo is balanced by a decrease and double decreases are balanced by 2 yarn overs except the last sequence:
[B]yo[/B], K1tbl, K1, K1tbl, [B]yo[/B], sl1, K2tog, psso, [B]yo[/B], K5.
There are 3 yarn overs but only the double decrease (sl1, k2tog, psso). The last yo is the extra stitch.

I know. It seems crazy. I did the same thing with counting =/- stitches with yo’s and K2tog’s. I tried to look for some clues with other RS rows with patterning, and got nothing. Somehow, it starts and ends with 49st despite the yo:K2tog ratio. In order to isolate that row, I cast on 49sts and worked it repeatedly (after working rows 1-6 so many times I am destrying my yarn, and keep ending with 49. Arggghhhh.

It works out to 50sts. Are you making the double decreases at the beginning and at the end of the row? Is it possible that somewhere you’re forgetting the pass slipped stitch over?
I count 11 yarn overs (+11)
2 double decreases (-4)
6 single decreases (-6)
so that’s one additional stitch across the row.
Try going back and looking at the completed row. Name the sts as you go along the row. You may be able to pick out the mistake that way.

This is driving me nuts. I have tried this again 6 times, each time, beginning with 49st, and ending with 49 sts, being so careful to work everything precisely. It just wont work. I hate to abandon this project but can’t get anywhere. I work each yo, and careful to double wrap the first yo in (yo, p2tog) twice instruction. I am not missing the yo before the slipped stitch. I do bring the yarn to back after slipped stitch before k2tog. I know that is correct since my numbers work out on the other rows with that combination (yo, sl2, k2tog, psso). Hair getting grayer!!!

I’m puzzled, too. Let’s try this. Do the row or a row on scrap yarn and let’s try counting the stitch total together.
Row 7 (begins with 49sts): K3, yo, sl1, K2tog, psso, yo, [B]6sts[/B]
K5, yo, K2tog, K4, yo, K2tog, [B]13sts[/B] 19sts total
P1, K2, yo, K2tog tbl, K2, K2tog, yo, [B]9sts[/B] 28 total
K2, P1, K3, (yo, P2tog) twice, [B]10sts[/B] 38
yo, K1tbl, K1, K1tbl [B]4sts[/B] 42
yo, sl1, K2tog, psso, yo, K5. [B]8sts[/B] 50

It may help to put in markers to keep your place in each set of sts.

I wonder if the [I]second[/I] yo in the repeat (yo, p2tog) is causing a problem?

First of all, you are a peach for taking the time to go through this with me! I feel like such a dunce because I still get 49 sts at end of this row (row 7). What is weird is that the problem seems to be in first set of stitches as you divided them. BUT, previous odd rows all begin same way, and those counts end as they should. I am going to type those odd rows (1, 3, 5) at end of this in case it helps. But my stitch count as I worked them using markers.

Line 1: k3, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo (6sts) - I end up with 4 plus the final yo after this set of stitches (same as previous odd rows that begin same way but my end count on other odd rows end as they should)

Line 2: that does work out to be 13 sts. I now have 18 sts on right needle.
Line 3: correctly 9 sts for this set but total ends with 27 sts (not 28)
Line 4: correctly 10 sts for this set
Line 5:4 sts
Line 6: 8 sts

So I am same as you on all but line 1, but again, all other odd rows begin same but end up ok: (Cast on 48 sts)…

Row 1: k3, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso,yo, k5, yo, k2tog, k4, yo, k2tog, p1, k2, k2tog, yo, front cross, yo, k2tog tbl, k2, p1, k3, (yo, p2tog) twice, yo, k1 tbl, k2tog, p1, k2tog tbl, k1 tbl, yo, k3 (48 sts)

Row 2: k3, p3, k1, p3, k2, (yo, p2tg) twice, k2, p10, k3, yo, k2tog, k4, yo, k2tog, k3, p3, k3

Row 3: k3, yo ,sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k5, yo, k2tog, k4, yo, k2tog, p1, k1, k2tog, yo, k4, yo, k2tog tbl, k1, p1, k3, (yo, p2tog) twice, yo, k1 tbl, k2tog, p1, k2tog tbl, k1 tbl yo, k3 (48 sts)

Row 4: same as row 2

Row 5: k3, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k5, yo, k2tog, k4, yo, k2tog, p1, k2tog, yo, k1, k2tog, (YO) TWICE, k2tog tbl, k1, yo, k2tog tbl, p1, k3, (yo, p2tog) twice, yo, k1 tbl, yo, k2tog, p1, k2tog tbl, yo, k4

Row 6: k4, p2, k1, p4, k2 (yo, p2tog) twice k2, p4, k1, p1 into double yarn over on previous row, p4, k3, yo, k2tog, k4 yo, k2tog, k3, p3, k3

I would say it all rest with that first line you present, but as you can see, other odd rows begin with same combination up to the first p1, and end up with correct stitch count. It seems like the Bermuda Triangle of knit stitches.

OK, let’s look at that first part for just row 7 for the moment.
K3, yo, sl1,k2tog, psso, yo.
K3 takes 3sts and leaves you with 3sts
Yo adds one st
Sl 1 stitch to the right needle
K2tog takes 2sts and leaves you with one stitch
Psso, pass only the slip stitch over the end stitch on the right needle and off the end of the needle.
Yo adds one st.
That’s 3+1yo+1+1yo.
Could you be passing both the slip st and the nearby yo over the k2tog stitch?

Me again :wink: (I am very grateful)…
I know mathematically, you are correct. But something odd is happening to the yo that comes after the k3 and before slipped stitch. It is at the yo before I pass over the k2tog where I can see the stitch that gets lost. I do as follows:
k3, yo, slip 1 stitch (with yarn in front because it is a yo) THEN it is when I move yarn to back to prep for k2tog that I can “see the stitch disappear.” BUT what baffles me is that this happens with all odd rows since they all begin the same way. The difference with row 7 (from 1,3 and 5) is that I land at incorrect stitch count for row 7 and not others. I would say not to bring yarn to back position after slipped stitch prepping for k2tog, but that is technically incorrect and it is not needed for rows 1,3,5.

When I complete the k3, yo, sl1, (move yarn to back), k2tog: I end up with 5 stitches. Then psso (now 4), yo (now 5)j.

If you are tiring of this, let me know. Have you tried it yet? I know in theory you are absolutely correct, but the knitting gnomes are stealing a stitch there, seriously! Even if you cast on 10 stitches and try that section, I think you will end up with 4 stitches after the psso.

I’m intrigued and I want to get to the bottom of this almost as much as you do. I’m sure we can figue this out. Let’s get row 7 correct and then we can work on the other rows.

I’m not sure what you mean by the stitch disappearing but I’ve done this sequence before and tried it just now and that first section, k3, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo starts with six and ends up with six sts.

Try this, when you make the first yo, bring yarn to the back over the right needle and put your right finger on the yo (or put you fingernail on the needle after the yo to hold it in place), slip one purlwise and then k2tog, psso, yo. That should keep the yo from getting lost in the slip stitch.

ETA: a correction, the slip stitch should be slipped [I]knitwise[/I]

BUT??? Are you returning the yarn to back after slipped stitch, before k2tog?

If I don’t return yarn to back before k2tog, my stitch count works for row 7, but on rows 1, 3, and 5, I need to bring the yarn to back before k2tog to get correct st. count.

You bring the yarn over the needle to the back for the first yo. It must go to the back where it’ll be in place for the k2tog. Before you get to the k2tog though you have to slip a stitch purlwise to the right needle. After the slip stitch you k2tog, psso.
That first loop over the needle made by the yo is stll there on the right needle. Closer to the tip is the stitch from the k2 tog. Then you do the second yo.

If we can get this row to work, we can go back to the other odd number rows.

I think we have earned a cup of tea! I am about to test it out, but found three problem spots that all involve yo’s. It is what caused confusion why other odd rows seemed to work out correctly. They actually were being done wrong, but getting a confusing correct stitch count.

That row 7 dissected (and thus shedding light on all odd rows:

Knit 3, YO (I have only brought yarn forward prepping for slip stitch purlwise - which is not a yarn over. So now full wrap here)
then the slip stitch and then bring yarn to back to execute k2tog.
Moving on through psso, yo, k5, yo, k2tog, k4, yo, k2tog, p1, k2, yo, k2tog tbl, k2, k2tog, yo, k2, p1, k3, and now SECOND mistake:
(yo, p2tog) twice. I correctly double wrapped in front of first p2tog creating a correct yarn over before a purl maneuver. Then correctly wrapped once from a purl position before a purl maneuver. THEN mistake was to execute the yo asked for next:
yo, k1 tbl. Here, I am in a purl position about to execute a knit maneuver. This is already a yarn over if you get my drift? Executing a yarn over here adds an incorrect stitch. I now leave the yarn in purl position and just execute that k1 tbl.
One more mistake to follow soon.
Next and final steps: k1, k1 tbl, yo, slip 1 purlwise, k2tog, psso, yo, k5.
It is in this last yo, slip 1… combo, same mistake as first time; didn’t wrap/yo sufficiently.
Will do Rows 1-10 tonight. Sunny out. Must step away from the knitting needles and get some air. Will confirm toomorrow that Operation Buchanan Jumper underway!!! Thank you.

All set! Thank you and thank you again! Just needed a sane (and smart) knitter to bounce this around with. There is a whole lot more to the pattern and a construction method I have never done, so keep an eye out for me !!! :slight_smile:

Great! I’m sure it’s going to be gorgeous.