Steeked Sweater 101

I’m not quite sure what you mean.:?? When I’ve done a steek at the neck shaping, there’s a section of steek stitches down the center front for as far as the neck goes down.

If you’re cutting where there is just one column of stitches, you need to secure it on both sides of the cut, one half of the cut stitch, and one half of the side stitch. Actually, here is a good site that explains it with pictures.http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/01/the_steeking_chronicles_part_i.html

Thanks for the help, although that’s not exactly what I mean. I’m making a sweater that calls for cutting 3 1/2" off on the top to reduce the bulk on the front of the neckband. I’m having trouble visualizing exactly what that means in terms of a steek. I was able to successfully cut both arm steeks using your directions, but I’m not able to figure out what exactly I’m supposed to do to reinforce the fabric so that I can cut it. If I had a sewing machine I don’t imagine I would have such a problem, but since I don’t and I’m crocheting the steeks this is leading to a bit of a dilemma.

OK, I see what you mean. I’ve never done this, and I’ve looked through my books to see if there was any help there, but couldn’t find it.

Thinking about it, though, I think that if you even just crochet through one row of stitches, that would be like putting a lifeline it. It would secure the row. Maybe putting in a lifeline would be a good idea, anyway, so you can place your crochet row exactly where you want the neckline to be.

Having the lifeline in, crocheting along below it and cutting above it should work, since you’ll really secure everything when you pick up for the collar.

Hope this helps!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
ALL HAIL QUEEN INGRID!! This thread was a good idea!! :yay: Good job, Ingrid!

You know, even though I am a new knitter, I understand this! It is really clear! Keep up the good work, Ingird! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ALL HAIL QUEEN INGRID!!!

[COLOR=Blue]:passedout:oh my, this is way out of my comfort zone! Thank you for the photo gallery, it is really amazing what can be done w/two sticks & some string.

xx
Carol[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“DarkOrange”][B]WOOH BOY, MAYBE IN MY NEXT LIFE…BEAUTIFUL JOB,BUT WAAAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE. MANY THANKS FOR BEING HERE~[/B][/COLOR]

ooo i like i like, I am still not %100 sure how you do neck shaping with a steek (i’m thinking a v-neck) but i’m sure if i were to look at a pattern i would be ok.
thanks Ingrid.

You do the neck shaping on each edge of the steek stitches. Imagine a V-neck sewn up the middle. As you work the decreases, the entire piece gets narrower and narrower. When you cut it, it opens to a V.

So what you are saying, is i could take the V-neck shaping from a regular pattern and do it with steeks?
Steeking is made of magic!:cheering:

I would think you could do that just fine. My only concern with steeking a V-neck, come to think of it, is that the edge may be too thick if you use anything but very thin yarn.:think:

Wow, thanks for the pictures.* Now my question is, how do you finish the cut edge of the steek?* Mine looks pretty frayed.SnowWhite

You’re [I]supposed [/I]sew the edges down along the inside. I don’t, mainly because I’m lazy. :teehee: I just have left the frayed ends and they eventually felt to themselves.

I’m marvelling at this, but I will play dumb for a while. Is there a literal translation for the word “Steeked”?

I have read every post in this subject. I am amzed that any one could cut their knitted garment and put a sleeve where a set of “waste stitches” was knitted. I can now knit a sweater for my son and having it fit him. He is a very small petite young man that can wear the sizes a young teen would wear but the clothes are not always appropriate for an adult since my son is 32 years old.

I’ve been thinking about steeks a lot lately. (Yes, I know this is probably a bad sign). I have wanted to give them a try, but I have to difficulties (and one of them is not cutting into my knitting actually).

First, I can’t wear sweaters made of the kind of wool that sticks to itself, even over another shirt. I am very sensitive to some kinds of wool, particularly those with ‘sticky’ fibers that kind of tend to stick out and be fuzzy. And if I’m going to make a sweater with steeks in it, it’s going to be for me, by heck!

The second issue is that I don’t own a sewing machine, and have no plans to get one right away although I’d like to. I just don’t have the room right now.

So, my question is, what would be the best method for reinforcing steeks by hand on a sweater knit from a smoother wool that won’t stick to itself?

(I admit, I have not read all 155 posts…) but wanted to mention that I have a block when it comes to sewing machines, so never tried a steek until I read in an old knitter’s magazine about the crocheted steek. This means no sewing machine involved!

Naturally, I tried it on a swatch first, and I have to say, it totally changed my mind about the feasibility of doing a steek for someone like me who was not real handy with a machine or needle/thread. I was successful on the first try.

Here are a couple links:

http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/01/the_steeking_chronicles_part_i.html

http://www.exit109.com/~lsyoung/knitting/Crochet_Steeks/crochet_steeks.html

http://zimmermaniacs.blogspot.com/2007/02/crochet-steek_24.html

Ingrid-
Amazing, it is just beautiful. Maybe, I will get there someday. I just completed a hooded sweater for my grandson. I followed the pattern, but the neck opening is not big enough for it to slide easily over his head. Is there a way to cut it since I did not make a steek? Or do you have any suggestions? Thanks

With Norwegian steeks, they don’t add extra stitches. They secure two rows, one on each side of where they want to cut. I’m sure you could do the same with the sweater. Sew down each side of the center and across the bottom of where you want to cut, and hold your breath and go for it.:teehee: It will leave a jagged edge, but you could pick up stitches along it and finish it off so it looks neater.

Thank you! I will have to build up my courage. Thank you for your quick reply. I think I’m going to LOVE this site!