Starting over

How many times do you let yourself start over before throwing in the towel?

I suppose it depends on how much you want the item you’re working on :smiley:
One top I made a couple years ago, I restarted that one 4 or 5 times until I cracked it - but I’d have kept trying even more times if need be!! Yet, a little baby dress last Friday - gave up on it after 2 tries :confused:
Good luck with your decision, anything we here can help with?

Ditto. There was a blanket I wanted to make for a friend once and I don’t know how many times I restarted it, honestly. I was designing it myself and I just didn’t like how it was turning out or I found some new technique that worked better (I was still pretty new) or I simply got lost in the pattern, even just a few rows in, because I had relied on my memory to recall where I had left off. Funny but not, the project lasted longer than her marriage.

Then again, I’ve been working on a project, gotten to a portion I simply couldn’t understand in the instructions, and set it down never to look at it again. Though now I could always ask here should I find them again!

I start over a lot. It’s the nature of not using patterns. I only mind starting long cast ons over and over. I may have to put it down and take a break.

Loads of times. I think there is only one that I actually gave up on and that was a crocheted cable style baby blanket. On reflection I should have enquiried whether there was an update for the pattern. Googling it works for that. I have done that a few times and found that it was indeed the pattern that was wrong. On a few I have actually called the customer services of the pattern and they have talked me through the difficult bit! One time they said they had had many queries - but in fact they showed me I had just slightly misread the pattern and agreed all the others had done the same! Always worth the enquiry if you really want to make the item.

Knitting is supposed to be relaxing so if I find my self too frustrated with something that I need to keep starting over I will sometimes move on to another pattern. Everyone is different though.

1 Like