Starting First Pair of Socks

Yes…I can see it in my head. BUT, if you wanna do a video (of the knitting, I mean :teehee: ) I’m up for that!

It might be tricky, because I’ve only got the iSight camera that’s built into my laptop, and the digital camera only does 30 seconds. I’ll have to knit with the laptop facing away from me and try and get it on the screen. :teehee:

And don’t worry if you can’t figure it out the first time…I redid the first row several times before figuring out what the heck I was doing.

Why don’t you knit a simple sock for starters? Have you looked at the Silver Sock Tutorial link? If you need it, let me know and I’ll dig it up for you (if somebody doesn’t get here first :teehee: ).

You can do it!!!

OH, durh, you should just start with the Class Sock in SKS. I did it and it really helped. I only made one, but I might make another and give them to my little sisters to play with.

I do have the Silver Sock tutorial bookmarked, and I considered doing the class sock in SKS, but I decided to jump in with both feet (pun intended) and make a regular pair of socks. I can always frog the project if it doesn’t look good.

Thanks for all of the advice. I’ll post if/when I have more questions!

:muah: :heart: :muah: :heart:

Big dummy here. Am I understanding this correctly? You join the stitches by knitting th first cast on stitch and the last cast on stitch together onto the 4th needle? And then knit normally from that point on?

You are not being a big dummy, Mason!!!

If you can visulazie…you have three needles, put them in a tirangle, like this

_
\ /

(I know that is kinda small!)

This needle \ is #1 and this needle / is #3. Take needle # 4 (not shown) and insert it into the first stitch on needle one. The tail from your cast on will be hanging down from the end of needle #1 and the working yarn will be hanging off of the last stitch on needle #3. Use that yarn, hanging from needle #3 to knit that first stitch on to needle #1.

So, in a sense, you are “joining” the stitches by using that working yarn, but the joining actaully happens on needle #4. Once you have knitted all the stitches on to needle #4 that becomes needle #1 again and you are left with an empty needle.

Does that help at all?

Amy’s Video explains it better.

But you cast on, then you spread the stitches out onto three or four of your needles. You pull them around to make a triangle or square, make sure that the cast-on edge isn’t twisted (if it’s twisted, you won’t be able to make a tube.) You don’t knit the stitches together (I think some people do, though?), but you hold it so the first cast-on stitch is on the left, and the last is in the right, with the cast-on edge. You insert the empty needle into the left needle’s first stitch, and wrap the working yarn around to knit. Then you keep knitting all the stitches off that needle. Take the empty needle, and knit the stitches off the next needle, and so on.

But really, Amy’s video is your best bet. :slight_smile:

And you’re not a dummy. I spend a good five minutes every time I cast-on for a project in the round trying to remember how to join. :teehee:

This is how I decided to do this. I want to get the hang of DPN’s and knitting in the round first and get comfortable with the actual construction of a sock. I am doing this on some cheapo acrylic yarn, so if I stretch it out and I make mistakes, it’s on yarn that didn’t cost me a whole lot of money (and I have a stash of cheap yarn I want to use up :smiley: ) . When I get comfortable with DPN’s and familiar with the construction of the sock, then I’m going to make actual wearable socks with the good stuff.