Starting Fair Isle

I saw the video on this site explaining Fair Isle knitting and I have since become very interested in trying it out, but I don’t know how to get it started. Is there any trick to beginning a Fair Isle piece? I remember in the video that she didn’t recommend spanning more than about 5 or 6 stitches, but then how do you get those rows in a pattern where it looks to be all of one color? Can anyone help me?? I’ve seen the results of this method of knitting from your pictures on the site and I would really like to try it!

Usually when you start a Fair Isle pattern, you cast on with one color, and often do a row or more of that color. When it’s time to incorporate a new color, you can just start knitting with it in your pattern.

If there is a row or more of one color, you don’t have to do anything special with the other color–just let it hang until you need it again. If there are only a few rows between colors, you can just bring it up to use again–there’s no need to cut every time a color changes.

If you have a span of more than about an inch, then it’s good to twist your colors to trap the one being carried to avoid a very large loop.

Another good habit is to keep the stitches on the right needle stretched out to help keep the work from puckering.