Starting a New Scarf

I cannot find a way to match the bind offs of my last two scarves to the cast on I used. I’m eager to start a new scarf for this frigid weather (that I can actually wear) but am hesitant to begin because I want my ends to look the same. I love the look of the alternating/alternate cable cast on but am not sure what bind off would match it. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions (videos preferred) on how I should both cast on and bind off for a new scarf? I want to knit a 2x2 ribbed scarf.

I suggest using an provisional cast on with waste yarn. Then knit your pattern and bind off. Pick up the stitches from the cast on and bind off. Problem solved as you’ve got the same bind off on both ends.

Fabulous, I’ll have to figure the provisional cast on out. :wink: I just went and bought some cheap yarn to use for waste and practicing so I don’t have to get so frustrated when finishing a scarf without practicing how the bind off might look compared to the cast on.
Do you know if I could use this provisional cast on method (below) if I am doing 2x2 ribbing? Could I start 2x2 ribbing directly from the provisional cast on?
Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Sure, any provisional cast on is fine. I use a crochet hook provisional myself.

Assuming I can master the provisional cast on and bind off, if I’m knitting a 2x2 ribbed scarf, is there a “wrong” and “right” side I should be binding both ends off on? For example, I’ve noticed when I bind off with the stitch-over-stitch knitted bind off/chain bind off(?), it leaves the chain-liked pattern more on one side of the scarf than the other and I’d prefer both “chains” end up on the same side, if that all makes sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

If it helps I find the crochet provisional cast on easier. You should do fine.

There is no RS and WS for ribbing, but if you are concerned put a locking marker or safety pin on one side and bind off on the same side.