Sskwsl--toe up socks

Can anyone PLEASE help me with a term I don’t understand?
I’m knitting toe up socks from the book “Socks A La Carte 2–Toe Up!” and there’s an abbreviation that reads sskwsl.

I get the ssk and can do them–they’re easy. But please, if anyone knows what the “wsl” part is and how to do this stitch, HELP

Directions read: Slip the next st knitwise; insert the needle point into the loop at the base of the next st. Knit the slipped st and the loop together through the back loops.

Which neeple point are you inserting into the base of the next st --the left or the right? Anyone know of a video out there that demonstrates this?

knitter522

If it’s from a book it should have a list of abbreviations somewhere in the book. It’s often at the back.

If the unworked sts are on your left hand needle and the sts you’ve just worked are on the right hand needle, then you insert the tip of the right hand needle into the loop at the base of the next st. Are these directions the explanation of the “wsl” or are they a separate question?

Sounds like it’s just ssk with complicated terminology.

I did type out the directions for the abbreviation from the book. But I would like a better explanation than what they gave in the book for the directions.

Thanks

The directions I typed out above are the only directions given in the pattern for the abbreviation of sskwsl.

This isn’t a conventional ssk. Instead of slipping the next 2sts and knitting them together through the back loops, you slip the 1st and pick up the loop at the base of the next st and knit the 2 tog through the back loop. Maybe the wsl is “with slipped loop”?
Practically, I’m not sure it’s really different from ssk, maybe just tighter and more closed up.

I tried looking it up online and this is what I found:
sskWSL - Slip the next st knitwise; insert the needle point into the loop at the base of the next st. Knit the slipped st and the loop together through the back loops.

[COLOR=“Red”] Thank you for replying, I’ll give it a try. I’ve tryed everything else. :hair:

Don’t make yourself crazy over this. If all else fails, just do a ssk.

Yes, you can do a regular ssk or sl k psso.

I found this thread because it didn’t make sense to me either here’s what I did: if you just SSK you will end up with too few stitches so I did an increase on the knit rows just after the p2tog and just before the SSK. I had to keep counting to make sure I had the 32 stitches. On the SSKs and P2TOG I would pull up extra stitches from below and knit them into the decrease if the gap looked to big. Hope it makes sense.

sskWSL - Slip the next st knitwise; insert the needle point into the loop at the base of the next st. Knit the slipped st and the loop together through the back loops.

found that on another knitting forum. hope it helps.

I think I figured it out. You need to keep the same number of stitches so you do an SSK with the next stitch and the loop below the following stitch (the row below) then knit the stitch in the current row (the one above the loop you just knitted. I haven’t tried it on socks yet but it should work.