Spiral sock CO change pattern change?

I am making a pair of spiral socks that the pattern calls for 56 stitches to be cast on, but to get the proper gauge I had to cast on 64 stitches. I’m at the point in the pattern where the spiral begins and the instructions state –
Step: 13
4th rnd: *K4. P4. Rep from * to last 8 sts. K4. P3. Slip last st onto next needle.

Step: 14
5th rnd: 1st needle: (K4. P4) 3 times. Slip last st onto next needle. 2nd needle: (K4. P4) 2 (3-3) times. Slip last st onto next needle. 3rd needle: (K4. P4) twice. Rep last 5 rnds until work from beg measures 16 (17-19) ins [40.5 (43- 48) cm].

For step 14 my question is this, how do I compensate for the extra 8 stitches? Would I follow the instructions for the first 2 needles then on the last needle K4, P4 twice then K4, P3, slip 1 to compensate for the extra 8 stitches? Or would this change the spiral, or the spiral then not work out?

Thanks, Nancy

You can compensate to the extra 8sts by including them in the last step in round 5:
Step: 14
5th rnd: 1st needle: (K4. P4) 3 times. Slip last st onto next needle. 2nd needle: (K4. P4) 2 (3-3) times. Slip last st onto next needle. 3rd needle: (K4. P4) [B]three [/B]times. Rep last 5 rnds until work from beg measures 16 (17-19) ins [40.5 (43- 48) cm].
It looks like the sts on needle two can be changed to accommodate 8 more sts so you might also be able to consider the extra 8sts as part of those on needle 2. I don’t know what eventually happens to the sts on the 3 needles though, so you may have to take that into consideration.
Can you post a link to the pattern?

If I add 8 stitches and don’t add a slip stitch won’t it change the spiral? Or make it lopsided?

Here’s the link to the pattern.
http://www.michaels.com/Patons-Stretch-Socks-Spiral-Tube-Socks/e08207,default,pd.html?cgid=projects&start=7

Couldn’t you just follow the directions for the middle size (64 sts), and use the length for the smallest size?

I can’t believe myself sometimes!

The pattern I have doesn’t have the instructions for 3 sizes, it just has a woman’s and a mens size. I couldn’t find the paper the pattern is on so I went on line and found this pattern which looked the same.

If I had looked at this pattern better I would have found the answer to my own question. I don’t have the paper the pattern is on because I have misplaced the bag that this project is in, so maybe I should look under my nose - it could be right there!

Thanks, Nancy