Socks

I am trying to knit my first sock on double pointed needles. It feels very awkward and slow, and everytime I change from one needle to the next, it takes me forever to make the change to the new needles. Any ideas for a person new to socks. I am ready to give up.

Nancy

I’m not sure if you’ve already done this, but my first suggestion is …

practice, practice, practice!!

Do you have some worsted weight yarn and size five (US) or above DNPs? Get some larger needles if you don’t have them, and just knit a tube. No fancy pattern, or anything. Basic cast on, not too many stitches (but not to little! It makes it hard to work), and knit knit knit knit.

Once you mastered basic DNP-work, start doing things that are incorperated into the sock, like the heel, and the toe, or if you’re doing a patterned sock, work that into your tube-o-practice

Once you’ve figured out HOW to do everything, why not get some thicker yarn you LOVE (either in colour or squoshyness), and make a pair of slipper socks out of that? That way you can finish it quickly enough not to loose interest, but still have something wearable (and hopefully you will love working with and fondling the yarn so much you will cast on for the second one instantly after casting off the first one!)

My second bit of advice is “Don’t panic”. Fairly simple, but important none the less!

I hope you learn to love the DNPs, and finish your first pair of socks! I was in a similar boat as you (the tiny yarn wasn’t working for me) and I’ve started a slipper-sock, so hopefully we can both become masters of the socks!

The first few rows on DPNs are always awkward…they are always twisting and going the wrong way until you have some fabric to hang off of them. You’ll get the hang of it, I promise! :thumbsup: Orangeus is also right. You should just practice making a tube on larger DPNs before you start your socks, just to get the feel of them, and then try some smaller DPNs for socks. Just don’t give up!!! :hug:

Thank you both for the replies. I agree that my frustration is with the tiny dp needles(size 2) and the thin yarn. I will try your ideas-they make sense to me. I watched the video and found that when I stopped worrying how my needles are lined up, I did better. But it sure is slow going. I am new to this site, so I hope I am posting this reply correctly.

Nancy

Nancy,

It really takes most of your first sock to get comfortable with how to position the needles. I just started my third pair, and I still find myself readjusting the way I hold the needles.

I encourage you to keep at it. As someone already said, the first few rounds are the worst. After about four or five, you pretty much have things set up, and it goes much more smoothly.

You can do it! Do NOT give up! You will be so proud of yourself when you bind off that first sock.

[color=indigo]I made Christmas stockings for my grands to learn how to make socks. Same basic construction with larger needles and ww yarn.

Google Joan’s Socks. It’s a nice WW pattern that uses two strands. It’s much easier to do when learning to tame DPNs, and still produces a wearable sock. My next socks were of fingering weight rather than real sock yarn. Then I jumped to Tofutsies which was really hard. VERY thin and slippery. Now I’m doing Socketta and it’s very nice to work with. [/color]

Remember that everyone feels like this when they first use DPNs, like you can’t hold onto them all, don’t even know how to hold your hands around the needles, like you may stab yourself or a needle is about to fall out of the knitting. I felt like that but got the hang of it very fast.

Having said that, I like 2 circulars too, and will use Magic Loop if I ever get long enough circulars. Some people never like DPNs and vastly prefer 2 circs/magic loop. Once you have knitted a few inches, if you still dislike the method, there’s no reason not to try an alternative.

But I swear DPNs feel awkward at first to everyone! Now I love them for single items.

Sarah

I second Sarah’s suggestion to try magic loop/2 circs if DPNs don’t work out for you. There are some resources listed here. Either method can be used in place of DPNs, though you might have to do some pattern adjustment. I’ve never used DPNs myself, though I’ve made mucho socks. :thumbsup:

What are Magic Loops? I went to the link on one posting, but did not get it. I am not a new knitter, but this is stumping me. I just finished my first Fair Isle and did not have one problem. I now have about 2-3 inches on this size two needle and thin sock yarn, but is it slow going the whole way? This short amount probably took me 5 hours to do.

Nancy

Keep at it. It does get easier. Once you get DPNs mastered, you will feel like the smartest person alive.

Someone said it, and it’s true–everything you try is hard, until it gets easy. Everything about knitting was hard for me at the beginning. Just holding the yarn and the needles at the same time nearly whooped me.

After your first sock, you’ll be bossing those DPNs around like an old pro!

You can find out about Magic Loop knitting under the advanced techniques tab at the top of the page.

Some people really like it, or using 2 circs to do circular knitting. I personnally prefer DPNs, and I’m a lot faster with DPNs than two circs.

Just remember: THERE’S NO WRONG WAY TO KNIT!!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Mary

I think I’m getting it! Thanks everyone.

Nancy