Socks

Honestly now, how hard is it to knit socks? Would it be necessary to have someone with you? Also what yarn is used? Do the socks stay up? I knit hats for charity, would knitted socks be welcome by someone? Do they wash and wear for a long time? Then needles. There is no way I could begin with Dpns. Is there another easy way?

I have always shied away from socks. Never even seen home made ones in person. Heard so often how hard it is to make the gusset…don’t even know what part that is. Lol!

I know you tube but they make everything look so easy. I am asking your honest opinion on the dreaded socks.

Thx!

1 Like

Socks aren’t hard and you don’t need someone with you. You will be learning new things which I’m sure you’re okay with. :slight_smile: There are multiple methods - toe up and top down plus multiple heels and multiple toes and of course design. My suggestion is to do a simple top down or toe up socks first. Then next time try the other method to find what you like best. They can be done with DPN, magic loop or two circulars. I prefer magic loop of course.

Fingering weight is the standard weight for many socks. You can of course find patterns for heavier weight yarn which might be easier to start with. Make yourself some slipper socks! Or make some baby socks! If you knit tight you might be able to use US 2 with fingering weight…I knit loose and use a zero!

As for donating them… personally I wouldn’t because I think they wouldn’t last long with the heavy use they’d probably get. Personal choice though.

AND…not everyone likes making socks and it doesn’t mean you’re any less of a knitter if you choose not to. I can, but choose not to because I can’t wear them. (I have neuropathy and they hurt my feet)

1 Like

Well said.

1 Like

I love making socks. I prefer using magic loop and knitting them toe-up. There are literally hundreds of tutorial videos on YouTube you can check out. So far, I’ve only had one pair that keep sliding down, but that’s ok. I only wear them as slippers around the house so it doesn’t matter. For the most part, I give them to friends and family as gifts. They don’t take too long unless I’m knitting lacy or cabled stitches.

A bit of advice I got was to knit both socks at the same time. My first sock took so long (a lace pattern) that by the time I finished it I didn’t want to knit a second one. By knitting both at the same time, I avoid that issue.

As far as yarn selection…fingering weight is the standard. But I’ve used DK and worsted as well. You may have a hard time finding patterns for heavier-weight yarns, though.

Essentially there are 5 parts to a sock: the toe, the instep, the heel turn, the ankle/cuff, and the bind-off for toe-up socks. For cuff-down socks: the cuff/ankle, the heel turn, the instep, the toe, and grafting the end. (I think the reason I prefer toe-up is because I stink at the kitchener stitch.) My latest pair I didn’t even use a pattern. I measured my son’s feet, cast on the toes, and started at it. i quit knitting the ankle when he started asking when I would be finished with them.

So, if you want to learn to knit sicks, go for it. Find out what method you like best and have fun. Remember, we are here to help if you need it.

1 Like

Good info! I forgot about mentioning knitting them at the same time! Definitely do that. There is a method for knitting two socks at once on one long cable, but it’s never interested me. All I can foresee is a big tangle and it wouldn’t be as portable. I like to knit two separate socks at the same time on two separate needles. Do the toes on one, then the toes on the other. Then the foot to the heel on one, then do the other. Etc. It worked great.

Edited for stupid autocorrects

2 Likes

Hi Metylda!

Thank you so much for your comprehensive response.
I am going to give it a try. Not sure if I will like it,
And not sure which end to start from. If the toe a new
Provisional cast on…also never done. If the cuff the kitchener stitch which I also have never done,

I am thinking since learning so much, perhaps I should begin from the cuff and if I finish then deal with the kitchener stitching.

I will keep you posted. Thanks again!!!

Thank you Jan! I will be trying it. I have knit 10 hats so far, with one 3/4 done. I also have a double knitting project I really want to do but need the yarn. For sure I love learning new things. Not sure if I will like making socks but want to try.

I have never heard of neuropathy. Good heavens. Wearing socks is painful!? That is terrible. Can nothing be done? I am so sorry.

I will keep you updated on my sock adventure!

That’s good advice for my first try for sure!
Looking at ravelry, it seems you need very small
Needle size. My smallest for magic loop is 4mm.
Would that work do you think?

Oh heck. I forgot I only have one 4mm, 40" circular needle. Hubby already wondering why I need so many needles and so much yarn!
I think I will do the most inefficient way to start. I will make one sock. If I love it, then will buy another needle for them, along with a larger needle for my hats, which he also doesn’t know about. :smirk:

You can also knit 2 socks at once with double knitting. Since you’re already into DK it shouldn’t be a problem.

Fascinating! I will look into that. Thx.

Here is the beginning of my first sock. Easy part with cuff and now leg. I already see how great it would be to knit 2 at the same time so the rows are exactly the same number. Course I did not count my rows. If this works out they will be mine anyhow, or at least a good sample to learn the technique.

I like how the rounds are short too. Tomorrow i should get to the next step…no pun intended.

u

1 Like

Neuropathy is nerve damage. It’s often caused by diabetes so they did all kinds of tests, but I’m not diabetic. It’s just random for me and also seemed to involve muscles for me personally. It only affects my feet and lower legs at least so far. There are some medications for symptoms, but nothing can cure it as far as I know. I don’t take meds though.

What this does for me is it can make my skin ultra sensitive. I can wear socks…but they have to have no seams at all which made hand knit socks seem good, but the stitches themselves bother me. At least in wool. Maybe I’ll try cotton some day.

Have you tried to wear them inside out? My sister does that with bought socks because the seam bothers her (we just call is “sock issues” don’t know if it’s medical or mental). I don’t imagine any purls would feel good for you.

Jan, it sounds like your dealing well with the neuropathy and in the best way possible. It does make things difficult and I certainly hope it gets better.

Bluejaygirl, great beginning to the socks and such a bright, cheerful color, too!

1 Like

Jan, that’s exactly how I do it!

Thx again for all your help. If I figure it out I will do it your way too.
Have a good night!

I recommend this pattern when you try toe up. It will teach you to knit to fit.
The hardest part of knitting sox is starting. And getting past the intimidation factor. If the sock actually fits right falling down shouldn’t be a problem. None of mine give me trouble that way. Mine last at least 4 years before needing mending.
Straight Up Socks

1 Like

Wow!!! Four years! My store bought socks sure don’t
Last that long. I have started one sock top down. Next time
Will try toe up. What cast on do you use?
Do you make two at the same time?
Wow…four yrs…can’t get over it!

I added the pattern to my library. Thank you!
See…you aren’t grumpy…:grin: