Socks that have sagging cuffs - how to prevent?

Hi Guys,
I’ve knit several pairs of toe-up socks and they all have one issue–the cuffs sag and mush down toward my ankles. How can I keep this from happening? I do knit the cuff with needles that are one to two sizes larger than I used for the foot of the sock.

I do knit the cuff with needles that are one to two sizes larger than I used for the foot of the sock.

That is probably the reason right there. I think socks are usually knit on one size of needles the whole way. I’ve never done toe up socks, but they are probably the same. I know with most cuffs you use ribbing of one sort or another. With ribbing on sweaters or hats, etc, if the needle size changes at all it would change to smaller needles for the ribbing. You will want to use a very stretchy bind off though. Did your pattern tell you to change needle sizes?

I’ve never heard of using a larger needle for the cuff. I always use the same needle I use for the foot. Ribbing helps keep the sock top up, too.

You can take a needle with elastic thread and run it through the ribs .

Thanks for the responses.
No, the pattern didn’t say to increase the needle size. However it did have me increasing the number of stitches.

Maybe an alternative is to work the ankle to two inches from the end of the cuff in the larger needle and then switch back to a smaller size needle for the final ribbing? And yes, use the very stretchy bind off.

Why do you need to increase the needle size at all? Unless the pattern tells you to I wouldn’t bother. It just makes the sock top larger and and it won’t stay up.

I too am wondering why the needle change. I’ve made both toe-up and cuff-down socks, and have never changed needle size between foot and leg portions.