Socks slipping

I just finished a pair of socks for DH and he is wearing them today. He came in the house and said they keep slipping down from the heel. What could I have done wrong? The pattern is a Man Sock from Hannah Fettig. It’s just a basic 1x1 rib to heel and then stockinette st the rest of the way. Here is my Rav page. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/luvmykid28/man-socks I used Paton Classic Wool Merino.

Did I not knit the foot long enough? DH’s foot is 7.5" long and I knit it 2" less to accomidate the toe. Any suggestions? I want to CO another pair for him with the same yarn, but diff color, but I’d like this pair to fit. BTW, I did not block them. Should I or is that nesseccary for socks?

Thank you for you help.

Sounds like they are too short. You can either plan you negative ease in the circumference of the sock. Or the length. I go with the circumference by continuing the ribbing down the top of the foot to about 2 inches before the toe. Extending the ribbing gives me a fudge factor with the fit.

Your husband must have a really small foot. I am making a pair of socks for my son who wears a 10 1/2 size shoe. His foot is 9 1/2 inches long, so I make the body of the sock 7 1/2 inches and do the toe decrease over the next 2 inches for a total of 9 1/2.

I measure the foot from the rounded end of the toe to the rounded end of the heel.

If those are the socks on his feet in your picture on Rav, then I am going to have to say that the heel is started too late and that the tension from his heel pulling on the sock while he’s walking is pulling the sock down. (See, Mom, I AM still using my science degree!)

If those aren’t his socks in the picture, then listen to the pros here because I’m stumped. :wink:

Thank you, I found my sock it to me ruler from Knit Picks and realized that I have made the foot way too short for his shoe size. He wears a 9.5.

Yes, he is wearing the socks in the picture. I can see what you are talking about. I am going to keep them for myself and make him a new pair.

He did wear them all day yesterday even though they kept falling down. What a sweetie. I couldn’t have dealt with it.

Thanks eveyone for your help. I learned a lesson on these and that’s why I love knitting.

My first pair of socks were knit a little short and they do that. Knit them a half inch longer or so and they should be fine.

Also…I knit the heel flap a tad longer on mine because I have a little higher instep. This also helps keep them in place.