Socks Not Soaring on Two Circular Needles!

Please help. I am stuck on picking up the gusset stitches. I’m doing the simple sock, page 8, Cat Bordhi’s book, "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles."
I’ve finished my heel, got that perfect. Now it tells me with the same needle, knit up 15 sts in the loops along the heel flap. Huh? Place a marker. Look at the other end of your needle, where the 18 heel turn stitches are patientily waiting. Transfer the distant 9 to the other needle? Huh again???

Same needle, knit up 15 stitches where?? What needle is she talking about???

I just can’t figure this part out. Any words of wisdom out there? I know this is simple, but I’ve done it three times and I’m ready to chuck out the window. Since I live in Minnesota, it will then land in a snowbank and I won’t see it again until the 4th of July!!!

Thanks, everyone!

Jen G.
Minnesota

It is a bit confusing at first. I had the same problem. The 15 stitches she’s talking about are the stitches on the edge of the heel flap. You insert the tip through one loop, y/o draw through loop. Some patterns say to go through both horizontal loops, but I usually knit through the back loop only. You can use another needle to aid in picking up the loop.

There’s a video here on KH that shows you the art of picking up stitches. Just go to Advanced Techniques and look for “Working the heel of a sock”.

I make my socks with dpn’s but it is all the same. What she wants you to do is take the same needle and go down the side and pick up those 15 stitches leave all those stitches on that needle and using another needle do your instep stitches. Then using another needle pick up the other side . It can be mind boggling but once you get the hang of it you will fly through it. In fact that is the part of the sock I love doing. Just got done my grandsons gusset. I hope I have helped you somewhat. I don’t do circular needles maybe one of these times.

:waving:

Thank you both so much! I can’t believe that I couldn’t figure that out, but I think it might be that the brain is frozen!
Yippee - maybe I will finish these socks after all!

Have a great weekend!

Jen G.