Socks: Changing pattern (but keeping needle size) - will it work?

I started off making Cat Bordi’s Basic Sock pattern (2x2 ribbing from the cuff down through the instep) with US Size 2 needles in size Men’s Medium using Trekking XXL yarn (gauge is 28 stitches = 4 inches in circular stockinette), but a friend just came by and showed me this pattern, which I would much rather do right now: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns2/socks/panda-wool-tumblks-sock.html

It uses the same number of cast on stitches (72) and the same 2x2 ribbing at the beginning, but Size 1 needles. Would it work to keep the needle size (2), and maybe reduce the needle size for the heels and toes (and use nylon reinforcement thread)?

I have only the ribbing done. Will the cuff (and the rest) be tight enough, or should I frog it and use Size 1 needles instead, as the pattern recommends?
They are for a female with Size 10 feet.
Do you think it would work? Opinions, please. :slight_smile:

My guess is that the cuff won’t be tight enough on size 2 needles. I would vote for frogging and starting from scratch with size 1.

Of course, whichever way you decide to go, be sure to make the second sock the same way. :slight_smile:

-Kris

I didn’t hear back soon here and wanted to continue, so I decided to just go with the first pattern for now. The gauge is correct for the men’s size on 2’s (in Cat Bordi’s pattern). The recipient wants the biggest size. I’ll do the other pattern for myself someday. Those tumbling blocks socks look cute.