Sock yarn!

Hi everyone!

I’m going to be casting on my very first pair of socks soon and i’m looking for a nice yarn to buy. The pattern i’m using calls for a worsted weight yarn knit on size 5 needles. I thought that would be nice for my first pair and a little easier than using a fingering or something. ANYWAY… i’m looking for a yarn that is washable, somewhat elastic but won’t stretch out too much and striping… oh and it should be comfy and soft too. Does anyone know where i can find such a yarn? what brands make this?

Thanks everyone!!

-Luke

Try Caron Simply Soft. Huge array of colors, very soft, 100% acrylic so it’s washable, but works very smoothly. I’m currently using it for knee socks in cranberry. Gaw-Juss!

I’m just adding a note that if you use Caron SS, make sure the sock fits you well. I used it for my first pair of socks, and while they fit okay, there’s no elasticity, so they do get baggy.

I would try KP swish superwash. It doesn’t stripe but it is very soft.

I am currently using sportweight, which is thicker than sockweight but thinner than worsted. I have used worsted for socks though, just go with whatever you like. Just remember cotton has no elasticity. And my first sock was a wonder of horribleness, so I used cheap yarn on that one in anticipation:roflhard:

Do you want Worsted Weight or Sock Yarn?
MY fave sock yarn is Marks and Kattens Clown Sock Yarn in colorway 1722. It’s self striping and it’s really GAW-JUS! Here’s some sock patterns too! http://www.cometosilver.com/socks

I made my first pair of socks with worsted weight woolease, from Lion Brand.

You could try lionbrands simple (or simply, can’t remember) stripes. It’s a self-stiping worsted weight acrylic yarn.

Thanks everyone!! Those are all great suggestions.

Just my personal opinion - I really hate acrylic yarn for socks. Synthetics don’t absorb moisture and my feet end up smelling yuck by the end of the day.
For a worsted weight that is not too expensive I would try Lion Brand Wool. It will soften in the wash. Wool is also more elastic than acrylic and will make knitting your socks easier!

Just make sure if you use wool that it’s superwash so you can launder them (no handwashing). My mom wanted wool socks. I made her wool socks. She accidently washed and dried them and they felted. She gave them to the Salvation Army.

Just my personal opinion - I really hate acrylic yarn for socks. Synthetics don’t absorb moisture and my feet end up smelling yuck by the end of the day.

I agree 100%, if you don’t want to use wool, go for

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/SouthWestTradingCompany/Tofutsies.asp

or maybe an acrylic wool mix. Tofutsies has sixteen beautiful colorways, and the pair of socks I made had wonderful striping. There is also a corn yarn out there, but I haven’t tried it yet, and don’t know if I will with Malabrigo coming out with a sock yarn.