Sock Yarn

My LYS is having their big sale next week and I would like to purchase yarns for making socks at holiday gifts this year. First, one or two balls? Second, what type of yard should I look for—Sport, worsted???

Thanks

Sock yarn is a great thing to buy! :thumbsup:

The amount you need depends on who you are knitting them for and what type of yarn you need.

Typically, to knit socks for a woman you’ll need about 450 yards of fingering weight yarn, 380 yards of sport weight yarn, 350 yards of DK weight yarn, or 325 yards of worsted weight yarn. For men’s you’ll need 50-60 more yards in each weight. (ETA: I got this from the Senstational Knitted Socks book)

Fingering socks will take a long time! But some people like the feeling of the tiny stitches. Worsted and DK are great for thick, warm socks!

Good luck, have fun at the sale!

Also, if looking specifically at sock yarn, there are quite a few brands that sell BIG balls of yarn that are enough yardage for an adult pair of socks from just one ball.

Who’s having the sale?!

'I’d Rather Be Knitting" in Encino is having their sale starting on Martin Luther King Day. What area are you from?

Thanks all for the suggestions. I knit scarves for everyone last year and had a blast doing it so I’m on to socks this year.

I’m a bit addicted to this site and SO happy to have found it. You all are great!

Kathy

Oh well, too far for me. I live in south Orange County.