Sock toes

I’m new to this site and just love it! I’ve been looking at all the good hints, tips, etc. and know I’ll be back a lot. My question, I’m down to the toes on my very first pair of socks (also new to knitting) and I’ve ended up with very few stitches on needles 2 and 3 a more on #1. I started with 24-12-12. If I keep going, I’ll run out of stitches on the 2 and 3 needles before I do on #1. That pattern tells me that I should end with 2-4-2. I’ve no clue what I’m doing wrong. :??

I’ve got 2 ideas- BUT I’ve never knit socks before so I might be waaaaayyyy wrong-
if you have 3 needles and you are to end with a certain amt of stitches on each needle, you can move the stiches from one needle to the next and have 2 sts on needle one 4 sts on needle 2 and 2 sts on needle 3.

Also, Silver (another poster) has a “Sock tutorial” which you can search for on the boards using the search tool.

Hope that helps!

**Nice screen name by the way :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I’m beginning to think the pattern is wrong. I’ve checked out patterns in my “learn to knit” book and they’re a bit different. So, tomorrow, I’ll go to my yarn shop where I take lessons and check with them.

**I like your name too, I tried to use it, but you had it first! :lol:

I checked out Silver’s tutorial and I found out what I was doing wrong!! :doh: I had my needles mixed up - my #1 should have been #2, etc. (if that makes any sense!) Thanks so much for your suggestion. And to Silver, wherever your are - what a great on-line tutorial. You’re a gem.

Rhoda