Sock Toes Using Short Rows

Hi!

I am knitting Priscilla’s Dream Socks from Interweave Knits’ Favorite Socks book. I have gotten to the toe section and am a little confused with the instructions. The total number of stitches for this sock is 88 sts (44 sts on needle 1/2 and 44 sts on needle 3/4). For the toe, the only instructions given are to work the top toe half (needles 1/2) as I did when making heel base and work the sole half as I did for heel base, then join the 2 halves using kitchener stitch. The heel base was made using short row technique. The heel base instructions require correcting the mount of yo’s made when knitting the heel back so how can I use these instructions to knit fresh stitches from needle 3/4? The short rows which were created when knitting the heel back are on needle 1/2. Am I misinterpreting these instructions? Thank you for any help you can offer!

i’m confused too. i actually made my short row toe EXACTLY the same way i made the short row heel, then grafted it to the live stitches on the other needle. it was the coolest trick ever.

this is a pic where i am at the point that i need to graft the completed toe with the live stitches on top. can you see both needles there, holding the stitches?

Yes, her short row toes are exactly the same as the heels, then when you graft the toe portion it will be grafted along the top of the toe area as in commercially manufactured socks.

Thank you for the help! I think I understand the instructions now. You do the toe exactly like the heel. I think i just got confused when it said to work the second half when you actually don’t work them at all. You just work needles 1 and 2 using the heel instructions and graft the stitches to the second half of stitches…right?

i don’t think that’s quite it. you DO actually work the 2nd half where you pick up a new stitch on each side until all the wrapped stitches are worked. THEN when you are back to your full number of stitches, you graft the live stitches together across the top of your toe, like where you have a red or pink stripe on commercial socks.

clear as mud?

Maybe I’ve been doing this all wrong? For the heel back and base (also the toe flap), I only used the stitches on needle 1 and 2 and when I finished I had the toe pocket that I grafted to the live stitches on needles 3 and 4 to create the seam that runs across the toes. I didn’t pick up any stitches to work the wrapped stitches. These were worked while still remaining with the stitches on needles 1 and 2. My toe looks just like the picture you posted. I’m still a little confused but it seems to be working??