Sock Question

Hi everyone,

I am making my first pair of socks using Silver’s sock tutorial. I made it through the cuff and heel and now I am on Step 7 - The Gusset. It says to Find the first closest slip stich to the needle on my right, then insert my working needle through BOTH sides of the V from top to bottom.

I get that part, what I don’t get, is WHICH needle should I be using??? Is this my 4th needle (which has no stiches on it) or one of the needles with stitches on it waiting to be worked??? I think I’ve read and reread the instructions about 100 times and still can’t figure it out. Maybe it’s because I should be in bed instead of working on these socks!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

i have seen it both ways but it looks like she is using a clean needle in the picture!

She is using an empty needle. It’s done that way because the edge you are picking up stitches along is pretty much perpendicular to the needle with the heel turn stitches on it, and using the same heel needle to pick up the gusset stitches is difficult to maneuver. Using a new needle is much easier, and once all stitches have been picked up the stitches can be re-distributed before starting the next step.

Thank you so much brendajos and knit queen!

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I do this right the first time!

Okay, I’m back and confused about something else! I know that I will be inserting a clean needle into the slipped stitches. However, the tutorial states to look for the closest SS to the needle on my right and insert my needle from bottom to top. Then I will wrap my working yarn around, etc., etc. The tutorial pictures look like the working yarn is on the left - as is mine! I can’t wrap the yarn all the way across the heel - right? I really need to be sleeping and not working on this, but I am determined to get this!!! I can supply pics if needed.

And help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

The last row of your heel turn worked should have been a wrong side row. So if you hold the needle with the heel turn stitches in your right hand with the right side of your work facing you, the working yarn should be at the left side of the needle. Immediately next to the working yarn is where you start picking up stitches.

Thank you sooooo much knitqueen! I made it through the tough part with your help and I’m well on my way to finishing the first sock!

KH is the best!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

:cheering: :cheering: Glad you’re figuring it out :cheering: :cheering: