Sock Pattern

I am sorry but I still do not understand this pattern on Cat Bordhi’s Columbine Peak sock pattern (page 20-21), using the magic loop.

I am following a chart. I have 36 sts on each needle = 72 sts.

In the chart it show k10, k2tog, yo in the first row (pattern repeat over 12sts). “Since the pattern repeat is 12sts, you will fit three repeat on each needle”.

Ok. I k10, k2tog, yo. Does yo mean moving the yarn over the right needle? Or does it mean moving the yarn over the right needle and k1 which is included in the next k10?

So if I k10, 2tog, yo, I have 13sts on my right needle and 23sts on my left needle. I k10, 2tog, yo, I have then 26sts on my right needle and 10sts on my left needle. I can not repeat the 3rd repeat fully only k10.

I know this is easy but I can’t get it. I having a mental block.

The yo is just that. It doesn’t include the knit stitch after it. So if you knit 10, k2tog, yo, that will be your 12 stitches.

A yo is simply bringing the yarn over the right needle. It does NOT include a K1.

In your stitch pattern, the K2tog decreases one stitch and the yarn over (yo) increases one stitch. So each repeat of the K10, K2tog, yo uses 12 stitches and ends up with 12 stitches. K10 = uses 10 stitches K2tog=uses 2 stitches yo=uses NONE of your original stitches.

By repeating this stitch pattern around, your stitch count total should not change.

That was it, the yo was my confusion. I knew it was easy. Thank you so much!