Sock Pattern Help?

I am knitting this pattern (full pattern available). I am having issues understanding the heel flap part of the pattern. Here is a small excerpt of the part that is confusing me:

Heel flap is worked on needles 1 and 4, knit 1st needle KTBL2/P2 and then turn work to WS. Leave the remaining 24 sts on two dpns.
Row 1 (WS): Slip 1, purl all sts, turn work
Row 2 (RS): Slip 2, knit all sts
Repeat these 2 rows for 22 total rows. End with a right side row.

My confusion is specifically about the slipped stitches:

• Are these slips supposed to be purlwise or knitwise? Should it be clear from context?
  • In Row 2, if I slip two stitches one at a time and just start knitting, then the yarn winds up in the wrong place, and there is an ugly jump where the yarn crossed over the second slipped stitch. I suspect that there is something unstated in this step that is assumed I will know how to do, but I don’t know what it is, and I haven’t found an answer from searching online.

I assume a more experienced knitter would understand what exactly is expected at this step, so if anyone can give me clarification, that would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome!
Knitters make slip stitch edges in a variety of ways. Here are some different methods

I tend to slip knitwise and purl the last stitch but it’s up to you whether you like this edge or not. For socks, the slipped sts make it easier to pick up sts for the gusset, The slipped sts won’t show anyway.
I wonder if slipping 2 is a mistake in the pattern? I’ve only seen patterns with a single slip stitch here. I agree that the edge is not pretty with the 2 slipped sts. Why not just slip one at the beginning of each row?
I think that there is an assumption that you will use your preferred technique for the edges on this sock based on experience and personal preference. If this is one of your first socks, you’ll be learning as you go.