So.very.confused

HELP! ok…I am TRYING not to be a pest, BUT lol…

Ok, I am working with this pattern, well TRYING to start it. BUT I want to test my guage FIRST, and I understand the purpose of it and WHY I should do it, but I don’ tknow HOW to start it. Make sense…

Ok, to test the guage it says:
9sts and 14 rows= 4in in St stitch pattern (knit RS rows, purl WS rows)

OK…now I guess my question is once I cast on (I used long tail cast on) my first nine stitches, do I just regular knit a row, then purl the next? I think that is what is confusing me.

THanks for any help!

For a gauge swatch, you will want to cast on MORE stitches than the pattern gauge states in order to get an accurate measurement. You don’t want to have to include the edge stitches in your gauge measurement because it won’t be as accurate. So what you want to do for your swatch is to cast on say 15 stitches or so, then knit stockinette stitch for 5-6" (alternating knit rows and purl rows). Once finished, measure across the middle of the swatch (ie. not at the edges) and count how many stitches fit into 4".

If you have more than 9sts/4", you will need to use a larger needle size.
If you have less than 9sts/4", you will need to use a smaller needle size.

You can measure your row gauge as well, which according to your pattern is 14rows/4", but for most patterns you will find that stitch gauge is more crucial than row gauge. Row gauge can be compensated for by knitting more or less rows, but stitch gauge is what determines how wide a piece is, and there’s nothing that can be done to compensate for that aside from changing to a different needle size from the get go.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, and yes that does make sense, but another question…when you say knit stockinette, that is the same as alternating one row knit and one row purl? I am SOOOO A VERY NEW BEGINNER! LOL, I have ONLY done knit stitch scarves. SO a lot of the terms are still VERY new to me.

This is what I am ATTEMPTING to make. It said “Easy” so I thought I would give it a try.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50718.html
Thanks again.

Yes, stockinette stitch is knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit 1 row, purl 1 row, etc.

That’s a cute sweater you’re making!

THanks! If I can make it. I might want to go back to scarves lol. Thanks for taking time out to answer!

Keep asking if you run into problems with the pattern, and don’t feel badly about it! We all were beginners once and there is always someone here who is willing to help out! :hug:

Oh no worries about that one! Thanks for making me feel welcome. I am still trying to get the purl stitch down. I guess it would help if I tried to learn at home and not at work …tee hee

I highly recommend watching Amy’s videos. They are very helpful. When I with first learned how to knit, I would sit in front of the computer with my knitting and watch the videos over and over and over. Stopping, rewinding, playing in slow motion, until I got it. Don’t feel bad about not understanding. We all have to start somewhere!

I also felt frustrated as you do with gauge. I only stuck to scarves for the 1st year I knit, but since then I have gotten a little more adventurous. Stick with it. Practice makes perfect is the motto when it comes to knitting.

I figured out how to purl!!! YAY!!! I was SO confused, but now I have it! i am going to practice it some more before i even attempt to check my guage. I couldn’t see what she was doing on the video then found another one that showed it clearly!! I think it was ummmm, nancy nelson??? But it helped! YAY! I am SOOO excited! :cheering: :cheering:

ACK! LOL, ok, now that I have learned to purl…one question. I just want to make sure I understand. Does knit RS rows, and purl WS rows just mean that I knit one row then purl the other? that is kinda confusing to me, but I want to make sure.

Thanks again!

That’s correct. The ‘normal’ stockinette stitch that you see has the knit side as the right side and the purl side as the wrong side.

Thanks SO much!!! I’m going to get started now!!! YAY!!! :cheering: