So, I'm not sure what to put as a title but...

patterns

I’m making a tea cozy and as of now, I have 27 sts on my needle, which is the right amount. So my question comes in when the pattern says “K1, P1 repeat to the last stitch, K1”. If I have an odd number of stitches wouldn’t I be knitting the last one anyway? I guess I just am not understanding the pattern. I got the pattern from a book I bought at Aldi, so maybe it’s not the most correct pattern and this is an error? I took to the last stitch as until the last stitch (one more stitch on the needle) but is it actually asking me to just make another stitch? I’m honestly stumped.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Hi, I’m guessing the pattern is just confirming you end on a k1. I don’t think it means for you to make another stitch, as it would ask you to increase or m1 - you would think anyway !!
Have you read further along the pattern if there’s another stitch count total or something that indicates how many sts you should now have ?
Linda

Welcome to KH!
That’s actually a fairly standard way of writing a pattern repeat. It accounts for every stitch. If it had just said (K1,P1) repeat to end you would have ended without completing a full repeat and wondered if the stitch count was off or something else was wrong.
Is the cozy knit flat and then seamed at the edges?

Thanks!
I was just super confused because at the beginning of the pattern I had 39 stitches (an odd number again) and it told me to “K1,P1, repeat to end” and I just always ended with a knit (which I’m assuming was right, because I ended up with the right amount of stitches). But your explanation does make sense.
And yes, I am knitting it flat and will seam the edges when finished.

Thanks! Sadly the pattern doesn’t confirm the number of stitches (which, now that I think of it probably means I don’t change the stitch count). Honestly, you’re probably right and I’m just thinking way too much into it. It just confused me because earlier in the pattern it said to “K1, P1, repeat to end” (ending with the same amount of sts that I started with). I just didn’t understand why the directions that I’m questioning now are in a different format.

That sort of thing can happen with patterns . . . . It doesn’t make it easy for the people who aren’t accustomed to such variations, though.