So, how will I know if I twisted in the round?

I started my first project in the round today (These fingerless mitts, a practice project to prepare for the “Cigar” gloves for DH) and I watched Amy’s video numerous times (Man, she makes it look so easy…).

Anyhow, I know it’s important not to twist your work when it’s getting joined (or however you phrase it).

I know it wasn’t twisted on the needles, but I’m a little paranoid that maybe I twisted it in between the needles, if that makes sense?

Is there a way to tell for sure, or will it be obvious as I go along? What will happen?

TIA.

If you accidentally twisted it between the stitches, don’t worry too much. There will be just a little weirdness going on at that stitch, but otherwise everything will be fine.

When they say be careful that it’s not twisted, they mean that the stitches and cast on edge are not twisted around the needle… as in this photo. :slight_smile:

IF you did twist your stitches around the needle, you’ll end up knitting a mobius.

If you have a lot of small stitches, it’s sometimes hard to tell if they’re twisted the way Silver said. If you find that your yarn is wrapping around your cord as you knit, stop. I know from experience. :rollseyes:

Yeah, can’t tell you the number of mobius things I have ended up frogging :frog: because I didn’t notice until an inch into it that my work was twisted! And then I find out that there is a whole bunch of stuff based on doing this on purpose! I bet if I tried a mobius scarf I’d end up with a wide tube instead :roflhard:

Does anyone remember seeing a little trick for fixing this problem? I saw it somewhere once, but I can’t remember where. I try to make sure I always join properly to start with…but of course sometimes these thing just happen! :shock:

:roflhard:

One way I’ve read to check is to lay your circular needle flat on the table and have all the stitches on the outside of the ring.

Another is to knit a row or two and then join.

The trick I saw was for AFTER you had already made the boo boo and joined twisted…that’s what I thought was so intriguing. I knew I should’ve made more of a mental note when I saw it!

If you notice on the first row, you can kind of untwist it. It leaves a little glitch, but it doesn’t show. If you have a steek, you can sew and cut it, untwist and reestablish it. Or even without a steek, and you’ve done more than you’re willing to undo, you can sew and cut along where the side will be.

I’ve started joining my projects on the second row. I will cast on my stitches, do the first row according to the pattern, and then join the project before starting the second round. I also cast on an extra stitch to k2tog to help close it. I find that having the one row worked flat makes it much easier to see if I have my work twisted or not {ESPECIALLY when dividing it on to dpns!}, and the small gap is easily sewn up with my yarn tail when I weave it in later.

Just my 2¢ {CAN that is!},